Chapter Twenty-Two

She shot a cry when she awoke, heart racing and breathing labored. She was soaked in sweat, it was disgusting. She looked frantically around the dark room, terrified that he would come out from the shadows to ruin her all over again. Those memories she had tried so hard to forget, they still haunted her, everything in her power still wasn't enough to make her forget. A sudden sob escaped her trembling lips, gripping tightly on her hair and pulling on the strands tightly until the pain overwhelmed her. Any way she could think of to distract herself from the memories that harassed her conscious, she would do anything

"So, you have nightmares too, huh?" her head shot up at the voice, grabbing hold of her leaping chest by the shirt. She turned over quickly, slapping the button for the side table light. The room lit in a light orange glow, and in the far corner, in the black lounge chair he sat, his arms crossed against his shirtless chest as he met tight, tired eyes with her own. She was quick to wipe away the tears from her sight, pull down her nightshirt, and run a hand through her hair. He really was fully covered in tattoos, intricate patterns of death and light, betrayal and flowers. She wanted to ask him why the fuck he was there, tell him to get the hell out and she opened her mouth to do just that. But, somehow, the words wouldn't come out.

"Look-" he got up from the chair suddenly, and she flinched back, fear palatable on her tongue at the mere sight of him. He noticed it clearly when she did so, letting out a heavy sigh. He didn't know why her fear of him pissed him off so much, it just did. It was no surprise that she was scared of him, it was only rational. He decided not to approach any further, he just stayed standing, watching as she sat on the far edge of the bed "Look...I'm sorry, Harmony"

Her eyes widened at his confession, glossed with disbelief. She didn't look away from him as he shuffled, seeming uncomfortable and trying to recollect himself. "I don't say sorry-" he claimed, taking a step closer "I mean, I don't say it very often..." he tried, rubbing his tired eyes. He had been sitting there for hours, trying to think of what to say, how to convey what he wanted to. But, despite all the prep time, it seemed to have all left him the second she had awoken with a howl of fright. "This whole situation...it's been hard on me-" he held her eyes "But...it has probably been a lot harder for you..."

She glanced down at her tight fingers digging into the fabric of her blanket, taking deep breaths to calm her mind. She kept having to remind herself that she wasn't a child anymore, trapped within the confines of her bedroom walls. She was older, she was wiser...at least she thought she was. Maxwell was certainly no saint by any stretch, but in her mind, no one would ever be as terrible as he was.

"I...I forgive you" he lifted his head at her words, surprise in his eyes. To forgive someone so suddenly for things he had done, he couldn't really believe it. Somehow he felt it foolish on her part, like he deserved a greater punishment than she was dishing out. He wasn't one to be trusted, he knew that better than anybody else

"You do?" he sounded in disbelief, which kind of amused her. "just like that? you forgive me?" It was like he was trying to wrap his head around it.

"Life would be rather mundane without second chances, wouldn't it?" she retorted to his dumbfounded face.

"I mean-I guess" he responded, still thinking that there should have been a bit more shouting and hitting in this conversation, but he guessed that he had underestimated her maturity.

"Well, anyway...I wanted to make it up to you" Her ears perked up at that, meeting his eyes with her own, wide with curiosity "Tomorrow...I canceled my appointments and I thought we could-" he stopped suddenly, hardly believing what was about to come out of his own mouth. He sighed, running a hand through his hair "I thought we could go to the farmer's market" At least Spike was worth something...

Her mouth opened, just slightly, overtaken by her own disbelief. After keeping her inside for so long, he was finally going to let her outside again, to feel real sunlight on her skin, the thought made her shiver with anticipation. She didn't know if he was being fully truthful, in reality this could have been another ploy to have her let her guard down. For all she knew, he was taking her away tomorrow to get rid of her, in the way he had promised to do so when they had first met. But, she found herself so excited at the potential for a day feeling the sun again that it overtook the rational fraction of her mind that continued to insist that she shouldn't simply believe everything he says.

Even if tomorrow is my last day, I'll still be happy to feel the sun.

"Yes!" she said with excitement, clapping her hands together in happiness. He watched as she even started bouncing in her bed like a child, it had been the happiest he had ever seen her. He looked away slightly, feeling his face heat up in sudden embarrassment. 

-

I had to take a break within re-writing that chapter, it literally made me physically sick. I'm never doing it again

- Peaches