Chapter Twenty-Eight

She turned away from the bloodshed, pushing through the people with the dog in her arms. As soon as the sea of bodies set her free, she broke into a run, her heart racing, and the sunglasses fell from her cheeks, landing in the grass below. She ran so fast she felt like she was flying, it may have been the scariest thing she had ever done, running from him.

He had knocked the guy out, his face bloody and starting to bruise, looking up at the people that had crowded around, the fear on their faces. He was used to people being afraid of him, it no longer bothered him like it once had. But her, what she thought of him mattered. She tried to spot her face in the crowd, looking around to realize she wasn't in the crowd. He got up quickly, trying to see where she was, the panic of her absence rising every moment she wasn't next to him. Then, he saw her, a small thing she was, far in the distance. She took off.

"HARMONY!" he yelled as loud as he could, pushing past the people that blocked his way.

She heard it when he had called her name, and a new kind of fear struck through her bones. It urged her to go faster, try harder, she had to go. 

But, where would she go? That no longer mattered. It wasn't about going back to her old life, the only thing that mattered was getting away from him. He continued to holler her name, breaking out into his own run when he got past the people. He was strong, he was faster than her, she knew that. But, that didn't stop her from trying. What was he going to do to her when he finally caught her? hit her? shoot her? The only way he knew how to handle his emotions with his fists, was the only way he knew how to do anything, how to live.

His boots hit the cement behind her, they were getting louder. She couldn't help but shut her eyes tightly, tears running across her cheeks, pulled by the wind falling past her hair. She couldn't run forever, she knew that. Her choice to run had been impulsive, she had intended to slip away undetected under his nose, hop into a semi-truck or something, but it was pointless now. She wasn't getting away from him, that became very clear when he grabbed her arm, yanking her back so hard it hurt. She let out a cry, feeling the pain start to fester in the joint of her shoulder. He pulled her from the open, to the back of some building, like a barn. The wood was splintered, and the small pieces dug into her back as he forced her against it, holding a hand over her throat. His grip wasn't tight, but it certainly wasn't loose.

There was that horrible falling in his gut, the same he had experienced when she had escaped the condo to go on her little escapades throughout the building. Betrayal. It was illogical, she was being held against her will, of course she'd want to run. But, she was his Harmony. His beautiful, innocent, happy Harmony. She was such a light, and he was nothing but the surrounding smog smothering her, causing the fire to flicker.

She cried so hard, the tears falling uncontrollably from blistered red cheeks. He made her so sad and she drove him crazy.

"WHY?!" she cried suddenly, looking up at his empty, blue eyes. "Wh-why me?" she whispered in the heavy air between them. He leaned over, just a little closer, pressing his free hand against the creaking wood beside her head. Even when she cried, she was nothing short of a vision. The closer he got, the more conflicted she became. He lifted his hand from her throat, and it shook with the slam of his heart against his ribs. It held in mid-air between them, hesitant to reach it towards her. He wanted to touch her cheek, he wanted to touch it gently, wipe his thumb across her skin, remove her tears of sorrow.

"Because" he tried to build his courage to speak, to do what he wanted. All he could muster was to reach out gently towards the skin of her cheek, watching as she tightened, sinking further into the wood against her back, retreating from his touch. That should have stopped him, it had halted him from approaching her every other time she had hidden away. But, he wasn't going to this time.

He pressed his finger against her soft cheek, burning hot from her tears, dropping his head just the slightest bit more. She could feel his breath against her cheek, the feather press of his fingertip. She felt her eyes close, just slightly, glazing at the sense of his touch. He was a prison, a prison on fire, sucking the air out of the room to keep her warm.

"Because...you're you" he whispered, licking his lower lip because it felt so fucking dry. He wanted nothing more than for her to be his well. He slid his finger across her cheek, coating his fingerprint in her tears. Her tears were so cold, and his skin was on fire. She watched, wide red eyes as he brought the finger to his lips, his dark eyes carving a gape in her consciousness. It was salty on his tongue, across his lips. But, she was so sweet, a true treat.

The kiss was startling, so much so that she forgot how to breathe. His lips didn't move, they simply stayed pressed against her own with an unwavering pressure. Her first kiss. It was now in his hands. She didn't close her eyes, and she didn't lean into his touch. He stole it. She ripped her lips away, lifting her hand and slapping him right across the cheek.