Chapter Forty

That was when Max's entire body flew into a rage, watching Harmony get kissed by that womanizing prick. She was obviously intoxicated, and the way she smiled at him, it wasn't fair. She never smiled at him like that, with an innocence he could taste. Her arm was suddenly grabbed, and her lips ripped from that of her adonis. She gasped in pain from the angle her arm was yanked. She was forced out of the pool by a tight, suffocating hand on her wrist. The world had moved so fast she couldn't keep up, stumbling on the cement of the pool deck. He let his anger be known, very well known. There was no lenience as he dragged her away from the pool deck, yanking her by the arm through the doors back into the building as she twisted behind him, feeling the alcohol turn her green.

He forced her through the nearest door, which happened to be an apartment without an occupant, watching her fall against the living room couch with a groan. He slammed the door behind them, locking it so they wouldn't be interrupted during the fucking rip he was about to give her.

"What did you think you were doing?!" he snapped, trying to keep her attention when it kept flying away in an alcohol-induced haze "Are you just a fucking slut?! hanging off any guy with low enough standards to have you?!" She leaned up on the couch, folding her eyes upon his angry gaze. She got up, her legs a little shaky, but the adrenaline of the moment seemed to start kicking in, it stopped the world from its spinning antics.

"I'm not a slut!" she barked back,

"Well, you could have fooled me!" He spat "Just fucking crawling all over that guy!"

"He was nice to me! Unlike you!" she yelled back, pointing at him "Talk about calling the kettle black, you bastard! so what?! you can call everyone else a fucking whore but that word is impervious to you?!"

"You're pushing your luck Harmony!" he warned with a deep rumble in his chest

"You! slobbering all over that blonde like a dog in heat!-" she snapped, pushing him by the chest, so hard he actually took a step back "Sticking your tongue down her throat! I'm surprised you didn't choke her!" perhaps it was alcoholic courage, but she got up right in his face, looking him in the eyes

"What right do you have to call me a slut?! You're not my boyfriend Maxwell!"

"YOU KISSED HIM!" he spat back in her face

"HE KISSED ME!" Her snap was so loud it shook his eardrums. "I don't kiss anyone! ever!" she swiped a single tear from her cheek, collapsing back onto the couch with her face in her hands, breathing so hard the oxygen would never be enough. The silence between them was cathartic, as he watched her crumble "You were the first" she spoke weakly, her lower lip trembling in anger.

He was stunned, her confession echoed in his ears like his brain had stopped working.

"You!" She ripped her hands from her cheeks, standing up to meet his wide eyes with hers, red and weak "You took my first kiss! Like you fucking owned me!" she snapped, frustration in her very core.

"Tell me Maxwell-" her voice broke "What right did you have to take that from me?! tell me!" She forced an angry push at his chest, and he hit the wall behind him, watching her body tremble and huff. She tried her might to calm down, to settle her racing heart. Her emotions were all over the place, her mind in ten places at once.

"These people! they don't respect you! they're simply too afraid to say no to you!" She breathed heavily, trying to get air between the huffs of her out-of-control body, and he just let her. He didn't speak, he didn't yell back, although he could have. She was obviously having some sort of panic attack, as she clawed at her own skin, across her neck, leaving red marks by her damage. He grabbed at her wrists, forcing her against him, trying to help her by letting her nails dig into his skin instead. She clung onto him like she was on the edge of a precipice, and he was the only thing stopping her from a fall to death. Her nails clung to his skin, and it hurt like hell, but he didn't care. He grabbed her hip with his hand, gently guiding her to sit back on the couch. Her body convulsed against him, a random, unpredictable rhythm. Her breath puffed against his ear, letting out small, low whines of pain. He sat next to her, just holding her until the uncontrollable contractions of her body started to ease, rubbing the bare skin of her back.

He had entirely overwhelmed her, under the influence of alcohol on top of that. He felt foolish, what was he trying to get out of her? he had acted recklessly. But, his anger had blinded him, amplified by jealousy that was bitter to taste. Any other girl he had known would have gotten through unscathed, it probably wouldn't be the first time they would have got into a shouting match with a guy while being drunk on something. He kept having to remind himself that this one didn't know that kind of life, he had to treat it gently, and if he didn't there would be no doubt he'd snap it unfixable.

"You're right," he said softly against her, and he pulled away gently. Her nails fell from his shoulders, leaving red marks in their wake. She pulled away, refusing to meet his eyes, so close she could taste the alcohol on his breath. "I'm sorry Harmony, that was wrong of me...to take your lips without your consent" He reached up between them softly, taking hold of her upper throat with light fingers, forcing her chin up so her eyes would have to meet his. They shined with unshed tears, his lips so close he could almost taste the salt on her own

"But...you are wrong about one very key detail-" he spoke softly to her gentle gasp against his fingers, he could feel when her throat swallowed in fear. "I do fucking own you"

"No" It was a shadow of a word, so quiet it could have just been a breath. She would fight him till the end, he knew that, so there had to be another way