Chapter Sixty-Four

She hurried to the nearest police station, bursting through the doors to the receptionist's shock. It was the dead of night, with only a skeleton crew to handle the fort.

"Ma'am, is there something we can help you with?" she asked kindly, watching the young girl drop her hood, the white dog curled in her arms

"I-I heard there was a missing persons' report filed for me...I wanted to tell you guys that I'm alright" The receptionist's eyes widened, pulling her eyes down to the computer screen

"What was your name, dear?"

"Jenkins...Harmony Jenkins" she typed the name into the computer, coming up with the missing persons' file. Only 21, and had been missing for almost three months.

"You are Harmony Jenkins?" the young girl nodded "If you don't mind, would it be alright if you sat down with an officer?" the young girl looked apprehensive, but she nodded her head. The receptionist got up from her chair, heading to the back room where the night shift officers sat at their desks, doing whatever paperwork needed to be completed.

"One of you, call Stacy," she said, not bothering to answer their questioned looks. She led the young girl into an interrogation room, She wasn't in any trouble, but that would be the best place because it was quiet.

"Feel free to get comfortable-" she said kindly, referring to the metal chair on the side of the table "The officer that has been handling your case, he'll be here soon to talk to you. We can sort this all out, and then you will be free to go" the girl shook her head in understanding, showing grateful eyes and settled into the chair. The receptionist shut the door, leaving her alone to stir.

-

This room, it wasn't comforting. It was small, and it felt cold. She leaned against the backrest of the metal chair, placing her head in her hands, not wanting to look at the one-way mirror to her right. Perhaps she had been too hasty, heading to the nearest police station. But, she needed to clear the air, she couldn't continue having people looking for her, and unless the cops knew she was alright, that she wasn't actually missing, she suspected they would always have a file on her. She simply wanted to move on with her life, jump past this part, and go back to the way things used to be before it all went to shit.

On her way to the station, she had stopped in at a 24-hour pharmacy, bought the morning-after pill, and took it just like she said she would, swallowing it with half a bottle of water, and wiping her wet lips. This would be the end, of all of this...

She hadn't known how long she had been waiting, she was even starting to doze off, and the dog was already asleep, curled on the floor next to the chair she sat in. She jumped when the door suddenly opened, sighting the older man peering inside the harshly-lit room.

"Harmony Jenkins?" she nodded her head, placing her hands together in front of her. The man walked in, in full uniform with a file tucked under his arm. "It's nice to meet you" he responded, sitting down in the empty chair on the other side of the table. "My name is Captain Stacy, I've been the one that has been in charge of the officers assigned to your case"

"It's nice to meet you" she responded, feeling a little unnerved. There was something about this man's eyes, they were dark, you couldn't even see the pupil. His hair was a light brown, peppered with random grey hairs of age. He wasn't outright threatening by any means, but it was an inkling, an itch at the back of her head that continued its nag on her senses.

"You've been missing for the last two months Miss Jenkins, Would you mind telling me where you've been"

"I needed to get away" she spoke. She had practiced it, over and over again on the way here "I felt overwhelmed by life, and I thought I could go away for a bit, focus on myself. I had no idea that anyone would file a police report on me" she said, as calm as she could maintain. A part of moving on from all of this, was learning to forget. She didn't want this following her everywhere she went, to lie was best, at least that's what she thought.

"So...you are saying that you left of your own free will?"

"Yes" she responded, nodding her head

"Are you sure, Miss Jenkins?" her eyes widened slightly, looking at him in the face. She hadn't expected him to question her, she was here after all, if she said what she did, she thought that they would accept it and let her go. "I'm just asking, because if you were taken by someone...if you refuse to acknowledge it happened, there's no way to press charges without the victim's admission that a crime, indeed did happen"

"There was no crime" she smiled, trying to reassure the man "I left on my own, I swear I'm telling the truth" She watched as he leaned back in his chair, his arms crossed against his chest, looking at her with muddled eyes.

"After we record this and close the file, there's no way to negate your earlier statement...You understand this? right?"

"I understand" I'm hoping for it.

"And you can't hold anyone responsible for what happened to you" Her eyes widened, curiosity tickling her consciousness. Something suddenly dawned on her, causing her body to fall rigid and cold. This man, he wasn't here to close her case, he was trying to convey to her that she couldn't rat on Maxwell, nor Hell's Heaven.

"You-" she spoke, leaning over slightly across the table "You're one of them, aren't you?"

"Excuse me?" he inquired, his arms still crossed against his chest

"You're an HH member, aren't you?" she leaned her elbows on the table "You guys are in every facet of society, aren't you? That's how Max got a copy of those police reports on my case, you gave it to him"

"I don't understand-" he tried, but she was having none of it

"The reason why I was never found...you took complete control of the investigation, guiding it nowhere. Because, you already knew where I was, and you never wanted me found"

"These accusations are abhorrent!" he snapped suddenly, leaning against the table. Another thought suddenly enveloped her mind, a much scarier one. If this man wasn't here to take her statement and put her case to rest, that meant she was here for a different reason, and he was simply a distraction.

"You-" her lip trembled "He knows I'm here, doesn't he?!" she started to panic, getting up from the chair, yanking Zuni off the floor, holding her close "You're here to keep me until he gets here to take me back" she could hardly breathe, like her throat was swelling shut.

"Harmony-" he got up from the chair, and she darted for the door, ripping it open. Max knew she had fled, and he was on his way here to come get her. She had to get out of here before he arrived, or there wouldn't be a chance in hell she would get away from him again. He'd have her on a chain, forever at his side, fucking her while thinking of holding another woman. She felt physically ill, hurrying down the halls, trying to get out of this place.

"Stop her!" came the call from behind her, that man, he was directing the other officers to surround her. She was trapped like an animal, her only option was to barrel past one of the officers knocking her to the ground, jumping out into the reception area.

"Wait!" the receptionist called, but the girl was gone out the door into the night. It was only a moment later when numerous black cars flew into the parking lot, slamming on their breaks, and sending a horrible screech into the chilly night air.

A man got out from one of them, hurrying through the front door.

"Stacy!"

"I'm sorry Max-" Stacy stepped into the lobby "She got away" The receptionist watched the man's face contort, lifting heavy hands to grip his hair in fists. This man...whoever he was...he looked obliterated. 

END OF PART 1