Chapter Nineteen

Recon, it was all recon, at least that's what she told herself. She walked down the empty hall, still in her pyjamas with the dog in her arms. The walls were dark, with light gleaming from the tubes above her head. People actually lived here, each room she passed had an engraved nameplate in bronze. Some of them didn't make any sense, names like Poplar and AngelWings, Dragon and Reaper. She didn't know of any apartment building that had the names of their tenants engraved on the doors, let alone strange nicknames.

There were pictures on the walls, they looked old, some even in black and white. It was mostly men drinking together in some old-time bar, holding up their heavy mugs for a cheer of camaraderie.

Getting into the elevator after slipping past his office as he was turned in the opposite direction during a heated phone call, she realized that Maxwell's condo took up the entirety of the 12th floor, with smaller apartments taking up the others.

She got back into the elevator, unsure of where to go next. She had been in such a panic to get past Max without him seeing her that she hadn't looked at the selection of buttons when she pressed floor seven, too focused on staring out at the hall for any signs that he had heard her until the doors closed. The fastest way to get out would be the front doors, wouldn't it? she pressed the lobby button with twitching fingers. She didn't know if Max had noticed her gone yet, but she wasn't stupid, she didn't have long before he realized her deception and went looking for her.

She was terrified of what would happen when he found her outside of the condo, even if she didn't intend to escape, at least for now. He was going to have her head for a hearty brunch. She swallowed slightly at the thought, feeling the need to cough. She was going down the elevator towards the lobby, but when the lift stopped suddenly, she glanced up confused at the small display to find she wasn't at the lobby, but the fourth floor. Her eyes widened as the doors slid open, panicked thinking it was Max.

Instead, it was four other people, three guys, and a girl. They were in the middle of a discussion when the doors opened, but voices cut short when they saw that the elevator was already occupied. She looked at them, trying to control her fright, holding tightly onto Zuni in her arms. They looked at her strangely, as if they just knew she wasn't one of them, but they still got into the elevator next to her, and Harmony was quick to move aside and let them in. They all wore dark colours, hard looks on their faces, as one of the men pressed the lobby button again and the doors slowly slid closed.

Harmony stood like a statue, unmoving only except for the slightest twitches. The others were conversing again as the elevator moved between floors, but she couldn't understand what they were saying, it wasn't English. She suspected it was some sort of Scandinavian language, but she couldn't tell for sure. She glanced down at her black nightgown, covering her chest with the dog, she hadn't even worn a fucking bra. She had been so focused on the opportunity she had been given, she had completely forgotten the basic shit to let her blend in. Her hair was unbrushed, no makeup, and she wasn't even wearing shoes!

The elevator sounded a little tone when they reached the lobby, and when the doors slid open the other people quickly exited. Harmony could only stand there for a few moments, taking in a deep breath before stepping off. The lobby was bright, it had many windows for light to filter in, but the walls were dark, the tiling across the floor was black with little white specs, almost like granite or the sky at midnight. They were cold on her bare feet the moment she stepped on them, moving foot by foot away from the elevator into the greater area.

There were people, not lots but many, they were conversing in small groups, doing basic stuff like eating or drinking coffee. They looked different just as much as they looked the same, all darkly dressed with mischievous eyes, wicked smiles with wicked intentions. She glanced to her right, and there they were, the front doors to the building. She stood, staring at them for a few moments as she fantasized about making a break for it. Other people stepped through and in like air, but not her. So close, yet so far.

Her presence had attracted a bit of attention within her surroundings, as people turned their heads, looking at her from the messy hair to the shoeless feet. She was wearing insignia color, but she didn't seem like one of them, she showed too much emotion on her face, and each step she took held too much meaning. She was a small, weak-looking presence, something that certainly wouldn't fly in a place like this.

"Are you lost?" Harmony jumped slightly from the sound of the voice to her left. She turned, looking up at the woman suddenly standing beside her. She was much taller than Harmony, and it wasn't only the thick, heavy arched boots on her feet. She wore tight black jeans, and a halter top, with hair snap black, in two high ponytails curled to frame her face. What struck Harmony the most was her skin, so pale she could have been a ghost, contrasting so heavily with the raven black lipstick she wore, and the winged liner drawn across her eyes.

"Probably" Harmony responded in a weak, shaky voice. She took a small step backward, away from the stranger looking down upon her with odd, inquisitive eyes.

"You don't know if you're lost or not?" The girl seemed amused by her response, letting loose a smile. "I'm Bunny" She held out her pale hand with black-painted nails. harmony took it hesitantly, shaking it quickly before bringing it back to help support Zuni in her arms. She was scared, very scared, but she tried taking deep breaths, giving this girl, Bunny, a kind smile.

"What is this place?" she suddenly asked with the last of her courage. Bunny appeared surprised by her question, glancing down at the black nightgown that Harmony wore.

"You should know what this place is, shouldn't you? you're wearing insignia colour" Bunny claimed, grabbing a pinch at the gown's upper sleeve.

"Colour?" Harmony asked

"Aren't you part of Hell's Heaven?" That question, but it was only moments. Hell's Heaven, this place? it can't be. She could hardly believe it. She half-expected to be hallucinating, watching the people around with a frantic edge. She had heard of Hell's Heaven, the cult that had spread like wildfire the last fifty years, but she hadn't been sure if it was actually real, or simply an enthusiastic urban legend. It was said that they worshipped the devil, brainwashing poor souls and condemning them to a life of crime and destitution.

Which means Maxwell, that man, was the leader of Hell's Heaven?!

She felt her knees weaken, like she was about to collapse.