chapter twenty three

[edited]

-

It was like it was happening in slow motion as Ashton popped out a small blue velvet box. I watched my mother gasp and a whole lot of other people around us did too.

And then out came the ring and I could feel my heart snapping in to two and being stamped on.

"Anna, I've loved you for a while and I think I've found the one. I want to spend my life with you. I want to have a child with you and I want to grow old with you. I wanna watch Luke go off to college—" I noticed him gulp at those last words. "—and I want to love you forever." Ashton smiled at my mother.

I just sat there and waited for the four words that will make me want to cry and then die.

"So, Annabelle Marie Hemmings, will you marry me?" Ashton asked but he glanced at me and I just looked down at my lap to ignore it all.

"I—N—Of course." And Ashton slipped on the ring and they stood up to hug and they kissed and then my mum turned to me and I had to hug her and pretend to be happy for her.

I wasn't happy for her, because right now I really fucking hated Ashton and her.

But I think that was my punishment for falling in love with my mums boyfriend.

After we left the restaurant I assumed my mum and Ashton would want to be alone so I got my phone out and texted the one person who wouldn't ask questions.

To: Sammy
Can I come over to your house? x

From: Sammy
Sure x

So after getting the address I asked Ashton to drive me there. He did so with a hint of jealousy and anger and I knew he was still that same possessive person when it came to me.

Ashton had dropped me off and my mum told me to be safe and that she's pick me up in the morning for school, I knocked on the door of Sam's flat.

Sam opened it with a grin and I instantly pressed my lips to his and pushing him inside. "Please, fuck me the best you can because I need to forget." I said in between kisses. "I need to forget him."

"Luke..." He trailed off, "You're only sixteen."

But I shook my head, "I'm not a virgin, just fuck me please."

So Sam did just that and it was mind blowing.

Because once you've had sex on a water bed you feel on top of the world.

***

The next morning I kissed Sam goodbye and my mum picked me up. She gave me a smile and handed me my school bag as we drove off.

But I just stared at the ring on her finger. It looked expensive and the diamond was beautiful. "It's beautiful isn't it?" Mum asked, noticing my stare.

"Yeah it is." I muttered.

"I asked Ashton to move in after the wedding." I gulped and nodded.

I couldn't wait to move out now. I wanted to leave and never come back home. I'd run away with Calum and we'd never have to think about Ashton again. For all I cared, he could never talk to me again.

"Okay, cool." I nodded and then mum stopped outside of the school and I met up with Calum and Michael at my locker. I didn't look at them, I just stared down at my feet. I couldn't do anything today.

"What's wrong buddy?" Michael asked and I glanced up at him to see a bright smile on his face so I just broke down and sobbed. "Luke, what happened?" He questioned and Calum brought me in to a hug.

"H-He—Ashton proposed to my mum." I cried.

"That asshole." Michael said, gritting his teeth. "I'm gonna kill him." Michael stormed away and I pulled off of Calum and ran after him through the crowd, Cal following.

"Where does the fucker live?" Michael demanded. "I'm gonna fucking murder him."

"Michael no." I told him harshly, "Don't so anything."

"No you don't deserve this Luke!" Michael yelled and turned around, going out of the school doors. Calum and I followed and I just told him Ashton's address because what harm could Michael actually do?

We arrived at Ashton's house and I awkwardly stood there as Michael knocked on the door loudly.

Ashton answered with a surprised look and he stared at me, "You guys should be at school." Was all he said. "Why are you here?"

"You're such a fucking asshole you know?" Michael said, his teeth gritted and fists clenched. "You broke his fucking heart." Michael yelled, motioning to me, making me shrink in to Calum's side.

"I never wanted to." Ashton replied, and I turned and nuzzled my head in to Calum's neck. I didn't want to hear this.

"You did anyway. You knew he loved you and yet you still fucking proposed to his mum. Luke and his mum are too good for you, Ashton." I heard Michael tell him.

"Do you think I don't know that? I only proposed to get over Luke." I sniffled, my hand found Calum's and I entwined our fingers, squeezing his hand. "Luke?"

Ashton called for me and I shuffled around to look at him. I stared up at him with big, red and sore eyes. "It was for sex." He said, "But I did like you. Not as much as you liked me but I was nearly there. You telling me you loved me freaked me out, so I proposed to Anna." He added and my heart broke. Again.

I nodded and turned to Calum, "I've heard enough. I wanna go to yours."

Calum kissed my cheek before nodding. "Michael it's not worth it." Calum said.

Michael just sighed and turned away and we all left Ashton standing at his front door. "Do you mind if it was just me and Luke?" Calum asked Michael, who nodded.

Michael went to school and Calum and I went to his house, but we didn't go inside. We went around it, through the back gate and in to the back garden. Calum had a huge treehouse in his garden. It was huge and I'd spent a large part of my childhood in there.

We climbed the ladder to the treehouse and I saw blankets and pillows. "I wanted to do something special." Calum said, he brought me in to his arms. "Just let me show you how much I love you..." He trailed off and I bit my lip before nodding slowly.

"I love you, Luke."

-

awe cake

The end is nigh

Meaning it all be over soon and then we'll have a sequel.