04.

Sounds Good.

Xavier Amari.

"Hey, I didn't know you jogged in this part of the woods." Marquee stated as he got closer to me by the water's edge. "How could I have told you, we've barely had a decent conversation." I chortled as he finally stopped just beside me, he was wearing shorts that left nothing to imagination, damn those pecs.

I had managed to throw off the pack, but I had a feeling they were up to something when they stopped the chase, so I doubled back wore my shorts and pretended I was jogging, the perfect cover up, now what I had to worry about was surviving the large pack beta who couldn't take his eyes off me nomore than I could take mine off him, he was just wow.

"If I had known I could've kept you company, and safe from the wolves." Marquee offered making me scoff, I was very much capable of dealing with wolves, but in his mind I was human so his chivalry was acceptable. "I appreciate the chivalry but I think I can take care of myself." I snarkily replied as I dove into the water, I was running, I knew I was, but I couldn't risk the life I had built because of a crush on a wolf who most likely had a mate.

I was surprised to see him floating ahead of me. "Wait, how did you?" I questioned with a confused stare and all I got was a chuckle as he swam closer. His eyes were trained on me, feeling conscious of my body I pushed my hair back, just as he towered over me, even in the water. "Look at me." He ordered and hesitantly I did so, how he could do that to me was surprising. "Why do you run, you're not afraid of me so why?" His tone was soft yet the demand within those words echoed even more.

"Because I don't want to be someone's secret, I want someone who will look at me and be satisfied, to be happy with this." I replied gesturing to my body, he didn't say anything just stared at me with a small smile. "Who said there was someone else?" He asserted making me look at him with a dull expression, that necklace was meant for someone. "So we'll just forget that necklace in the morning." I replied swimming away but he followed me and cornered me with his body.

"Stop running, I've known you for almost six years and four of those years you've spent them running, I have no one else in my life, the necklace is a wedding gift for my sister, if you had asked, I would've told you that." His statement made goosebumps on my skin and the truth pertaining to the necklace made me a fish out of literal water, I was the dumb one now, he was right, I should've asked than assumed.

"I'm sorry." I mumbled but he didn't respond just got closer and his hands snaked their way around my waist, the contact made my skin warm and electric, I knew what this was, but admitting it to myself was hard. "I want you, and I know you feel something for me, you can't deny that." That was mighty perceptive but I wouldn't say it, he was right. "I'm just an ordinary person, what's special about me." I argued but his response was fingers on my chin turning my face toward him.

"Real talk, no more excuses, you and I both know that's not the best argument to put forward here, I'm not special." He scoffed lowly, what did he want me to say, I couldn't bare my soul to him, that part of me was still very much afraid of the consequences. "I haven't earned enough of your trust, that I know, so I, Marquee Nile, will dedicate myself to earning that trust, until I know you, the real you, not the bubbly nuisance you put up for everyone." He proclaimed with a jab at me."Hey!" I protested slapping his chest and man did it feel good, his words weren't lost on me though. "Maybe I've been doing this running thing for too long-." I began and he nodded. "I guess I could drop a few walls." I conceded making him smile and it incited a smile on my face too.

"I know there are secrets you can't tell me now bella, but in time I hope you do." Hearing those words was comforting, it made me think of a lot of possibilities and the things I've missed out on simply because I was too afraid to let people know I was the last of my family. "Okay." I replied as his lips kissed my forehead, something about being held by him felt right, and in as much as I wanted to tune out my wolf howling mate in my head, I couldn't, he was the one but how would I even bring up that topic without telling all my nightmares, the right time would come, for now being held was good enough.

So we stayed like that as the moonlit the water, it felt like eternity, but the wolves howling was my signal to get my ass home. "I don't want to let go." Marquee spoke my thoughts, I didn't want to either but we had to. "You'll find me wherever I am and you won't let go then." I answered and he smiled whilst playing with strands of my hair. "Lets get you home." He announced as we all but floated to the sandy bank, I got out first followed by Marquee who took my hand and guided me back, how I didn't want this night to end, but the alpha was getting closer and closer, I didn't think he would like his beta having a late night swim with his unknown mate when they had a rogue problem.

"Where are your shoes?" Oh fuck me. "I don't know, they were here." I replied in the fakest tone of distress I could muster up. "Maybe they got dragged off by a wild animal, we'll just have to get you another pair." Marquee quickly intervened and I nodded moving forward toward the direction of my house. "I will feel better if I walked you home." He announced making me feel giddy inside, he was a gentleman. "I don't mind." I took his hand as I responded and instead of me leading the way, he did, weirdly felt right, how he knew the direction of my house was baffling though but I was to entranced with what was happening to care.

"So about dinner, would you go out with me, on a date?" The beta asked as we got closer to my house, we had been silent all the way there but the silence was comfortable. "I would love to go on a date with you, just text me when." I replied and a happy nod came from the beautiful large man, you could swear he was a puppy with how cute he looked, I am not sorry for saying it.

"This weekend, I'm picking you up." He exclaimed and I all but agreed to it, what did I have to lose, plus he was my mate, even if he didn't know that, being away from him would be unbearable and honestly I felt safe with him close so on a lot of things I wanted to hold back I couldn't because there was no reason to hold back.

"We are here." I spoke up and the slight disappointment shined in his eyes. "I guess I have to let go, for now." He declared and I chuckled. "Yeah, for now." I reciprocated as he pulled me to him. "In that case-" He placed a kiss on my forehead. "Goodnight bella." He finished as he finally let go, once I was safe in my home I heard his footsteps receed, slumping on the door I smiled like a crazy person. He was-I had, a mate.

+++

Thoughts please.

Vote - Comment - Share - Follow

LMJ