16.

Luncheons & Spoiling

Xavier Amari.

I know I shouldn't be nervous, I had met Marquee's mother before a few times, the one that came to mind the most was the time she wanted to sell several family heirlooms so she could pay for Granger's college fees, that's when I truly got to know her, she was single handedly taking care of her family, and now her kids were all grown up, Granger had been left to her by his father who didn't want him but he did one good thing, instead of getting rid of him, he gave him to someone who could take care of him, safe to say it made me hate him less, its also why Granger hated his birthday, he was abandoned on the day. Not dwelling on that particular fact, I turned my attention on my son, he was currently high on wolf love, to be specific, he was high on being smothered by the pack, even though we asked for nothing, they gave him, toys, treats and hugs.

I look back to where he was near the street to Marquee's childhood home. "He's having fun." The woman next to me stated as she smiled. "I hoped they would accept him and see him as one of their own, I didn't expect it would be like this." I replied with a chuckle escaping my lips. "This pack and its wolves, they are different, although very possessive and very terrifying, for one of their own, they would go above and beyond to make them feel welcome." She exclaimed taking a hold of my hand, her warmth as a mother made me smile, she felt so safe. "Now, I never told Marquee this because he would be a little skittish on the topic also because he hates tradition, but there is a tradition for every mate that is given from the goddess to a child of the Nile line, its to ask for her blessings, and protection, usually its done before mating but you couldn't wait-" She stated making me choke on air.

"Oh hush now." She chided making me giggle. "Its very simple, you need to take a thread, tie it around both your wrists, there is a tree outside, with the same thread you'll tie it around the tree, you'll take a seed from the tree and plant it, it symbolizes how you've become part of the family yet also creating your own." She explained, I realized it was simple and I had nothing to worry about."I could do that." I offered and she smiled. "Great, I will go find that thread." She happily stated going upstairs. "What's got her so giddy?" Marquee asks as he hugs me from behind, I reveled in his heat. "I agreed to do a tradition you apparently weren't into." I replied and he groaned. "I'm not a superstition guy, I believe in the goddess yes but not all the traditions that come with it." He explained and I understood where he was coming from but I also had my own answer. "Traditions aren't for our benefit, they are for family, the ritual she wanted us to do was to ask for blessings so that we can be happy, a tradition like that reminds us of who we are, and as we pass it on to the next generation, it will teach them to value the knowledge given to them by our elders, as we did." I explained and he smiled that boyish grin. "I couldn't have said it better myself, you're not just beautiful Xavier, you're wise." She complimented making me blush. "Thank you Siena." I mumbled as she led us to the large backyard where a single tree stood high above the others, several threads tied around it. "Did you also perform the tradition?" I questioned and she nodded whilst tying the threads to our wrists. "Yes, except two but let's not go into that today." Marquee replied and I knew it was sensitive to Siena. "I'm sorry." I whispered and she chuckled. "You didn't know, now come along, say all that you will as you tie the thread around the tree, Xavier you will take the seed at its roots and find a place to plant it." Siena instructed as I did as told, I asked the goddess for her blessings, to guide my family, to help Jude, to strengthen the ties of my family, and to give us courage to face all the obstacles that are thrown our way as we go forward as mates, after we were done, I took the seed and with Marquee's help, found a place to plant it. "Thank you for getting him to do it." Siena chortled next to me. "Oh don't you worry, he'll be doing a lot more now." I replied fist bumping her. "I heard and saw that!" Marquee called out. "Yes, yes baby you did." I answered as we got back into the house.

"Lunch is served, come on." Granger announced making me realize time had passed since the time Jude had been frolicking with the wolves, I had no idea it had. "Can we still check out the pack house or we do it after the weekend?" I asked Marquee, it was weird in a way, normally I wouldn't have asked just settled on another day. "Let's do it another day babe, I'm sure after lunch something else is going to come up till evening, plus my mother hasn't begun parading you around, making phone calls to her relatives to show you off and then overfeed you, I should have warned you." Marquee teased as I smacked his arm and he burst out laughing. "You know you're smacking your mate right, what if I bruise." He stated and I rolled my eyes, I barely made dents to his biceps. "I will kiss the pain away." I answered strutting away. "So if I get hurt just a little more, you'll blow the pain away." He suggestively asked and I groaned, how was he this naughty, and making me blush even if I didn't want to. "Yes, I'd do that, now let me go enjoy time with your mom, you're hogging me to yourself, we came for her, you have me all the time." I chided with a sliver of mischief and he rumbled deep from his chest, that comment was definitely earning me some pounding. "You're right, I will hunt you down later." He conceded and I finally strutted away. "Xavier, sit by me child." Siena instructed as I sat next to her, she began introducing me to the pack wolves I didn't know.

"Now you're the one being smothered." Granger whispered as he sat next to me. "Shouldn't you be at work?" I asked and he chuckled nervously. "Come on, dont be like that, I couldn't miss the welcome party." He whined and I raised my eyebrow and he grinned with mischief in his eyes but my flatlook made him look down in guilt. "I'm sorry, I know I should be at work, and I know a lot of other people want my job, you're lenient and I shouldn't be taking advantage of that, I'm gonna hit the road." He apologized making me smile. "Don't forget to lock the back door and to inform the girls next door that their pipe is leaking at night." I instructed and he nodded whilst taking his packed food. "You teach him well, he needs to learn to be responsible more, even if his boss is lenient, it doesn't mean he should enjoy the benefits that weren't given, thank you for everything you do for him, he should work harder for everything you do for him." Siena exclaimed as she held my hand and I nodded squeezing it tightly. "You're welcome Siena, and I couldn't let you go through with that, not if I could help." I reassured as we went back to eating and laughing with my mate looking at me like the stars shined brighter with me mixed in, but I'm sure I was looking at him like he hung the sun itself.

After a long day of enjoying the small pack lunch, and dinner, plus games, we were thoroughly tired, both my mate and I were holding bags full of stuff given to Jude and some to me and Marquee. "This was a good day." I stated with a smile as I opened the door for my mate who was holding our child in his arms, little peanut wore himself out with the other kids, he already had friends, and I had planned play dates too, all in one day, it felt good, the doctor was right, being around kids his age was something he needed. "I enjoyed it though, your mom is coming over tomorrow for Sunday dinner, my tradition." I told Marquee and he turned to me grinning. "I see my mother has already taken a liking to you, it took a whole five months for my sister's mate to even sit in the same room with her." As Marquee said that, I burst out laughing, I could never imagine Siena being anything other than lovely.

As I stood by the stairs something felt wrong, that feeling of being watched, quickly I walked to the kitchen, the lights were on in there, I grabbed the bane laced knives and made my way to Marquee in the lounge where he was silently looking around, I knew he felt it too that's why Jude was protectively in his arms. "They are in here, be careful." My mate projected into my mind as I held the blade closer, whoever they were, blood would be spilt.

+++

lmj