Chapter 5: Walls Begin to Break

Since the pair found Rebekah's body, the chimera and the beta have been doing nightly patrols of the preserve. Signs of the hunters were everywhere; the found the body of a werecoyote the boys didn't know, a bullet wound spilling of purple wolfsbane. The boys did not see the hunters that watched them each day, wearing new scent covering uniforms. Monroe knew it would be stupid to attack the pair. Liam was easily one of the strongest werewolf's with his IED, and no one really truly knew what Theo was capable of. She had to think of another way to take out the beta, and she guessed the chimera would do anything for him. The Sheriff and Parrish were stumped, no one could find Monroe or her squad anywhere. She had created a smooth way of hiding in the preserve; she would get some of her hunters to trick the supernaturals into the woods where they would finish them off. The Sheriff and his deputy were concerned about Theo and Liam running in the preserve, but Liam refused to stop, and Theo wouldn't let the beta go alone.

This went on for a week; Liam would run down the stairs at 6:44, skipping breakfast, looking exhausted, and worn out. His parents were beginning to get concerned, however, he kept brushing them off. He would sleep through school, sit in almost silence at lunch eating maybe half of a peanut butter sandwich, go hard in lacrosse practice, go home with Theo, eat some dinner to not make his parents worry, then force Theo to go on patrol with him for at least an hour, after the boys finished their schoolwork. Theo watched the bags under the boy's eyes grow and with his werewolf metabolism, the lack of proper nutrition, and excessive exercise the beta started to lose some weight. He barely talked even to Theo; the chimera was getting worried. He spoke his concern to Mason, Nolan, and Corey who were also getting concerned. At lunch on Friday, the boys watch Liam pick at his sandwich. Finally, Mason spoke up.

"Hey, Liam are you sure you are going okay?"

"For the last time guys, I am fine. I think I would tell you if I wasn't or do you not trust me enough to?" Liam responded angrily. The beta stood up, leaving his sandwich untouched, and ran out of the cafeteria.

"Want me to go follow him?" Corey asked, turning invisible.

"No, I'll go get him. Hopefully, he'll talk to me," Theo stood up.

Theo followed the boy's heartbeat to the locker room and smelled his blood. He saw his Little Wolf sitting on the floor, blood dripping from his arms and hands from his claws ripping at them, tears streaming down his face. Theo's heart broke for the young boy. Liam looked up and saw Theo approaching.

"Leave, just leave me alone!" Liam shouted at him.

"Fine, Liam. I am not going to say anything, but I am going to help you get cleaned up. Theo slid down to sit beside the boy; he grabbed his hand. Liam looked at the older boy's blue eyes, claws retracting at his soft touch. Theo pulled the boy off the ground with ease. His body weighed nothing which bothered Theo. I mean the boy had always been small, but one week of starvation had a surprising effect on the werewolf. He ran the boy's arms in the sink just in time for the next bell to ring.

"Thanks, Theo."

"No problem, Little Wolf."

By the time lacrosse practice came around, Liam was even more drained from his blood loss. On the field, his vision was blurry, and his reactions were slow. After he missed his third ball, Coach called him over.

"What the hell was that?" Coach screamed.

The boy crouched over, ashamed for failing his team.

"I'll try harder, Coach."

"You better Dunbar" Coach was unaware of the boy's exhaustion with his gear covering his face.

When practice was over, he crawled back to the locker room and fell asleep in the shower. Corey pulled him off the ground.

"Hey, Liam come on. Let's go." Corey and Nolan grabbed his arms and carried him to Theo's truck.

Mason watched his boyfriend carry the beta to the truck and was shocked as his boyfriend jumped into the passenger seat.

"I am worried about him," Corey told his boyfriend.

"Me too. I've known Liam forever, and I have never seen him like that," Mason said thinking of his best friend.

Liam and Theo pulled up to the Dunbar-Geyer house. Theo had to wake Liam up, after the short car ride. Theo looked at the house as he got out. Something was off, the front door was swung open, and all the lights were on. Theo saw both Jenna and Dr.Geyer's cars in the driveway and smelt blood as they approached the house. Liam smelled it suddenly, and the boy perked up and sprinted inside his home.