Chapter 43: Fighting Battles

Theo sat down at lunch with Nolan and Alec.

"How's it going?" Nolan asked the chimera.

"I don't know I'm just constantly worried about him."

Alec and Nolan nodded their heads. Some younger lacrosse players came over to the table.

"So, I heard Dunbar's out, does that mean there's an opening for captain?"

"He's not out he'll be back," Nolan replied.

"That's not what I heard; my mom works at the hospital, and she said she never saw a boy so weak before. She doubted he ever be well enough to play again."

"Shut up, he's stronger than you are," Theo jumped at the kid.

"Aw did I offend you by talking about your little boyfriend?" the kid stared at the chimera.

"You know who I am right?" Theo replied.

"And I know if you touch me; you'll have security swarming you."

Mason and Corey walked in during Theo's face off.

"Theo, stop!" Mason yelled at him.

Theo had lost all self-control at this point; he punched the kid straight in the face. 

The lunch monitor came over, "office now, both of you."

The kid's nose was obviously broken, blood running down his face.

"My parents will get you kicked out for this," he looked at Theo.

"Worth it," Theo muttered.

Natalie walked in and stared at Theo.

"Theo, I told you that you can't get in trouble like this; it's going to cause concern," she started telling the boy.

"But.." Theo started to interrupt.

"Luckily for you the lunch monitor overheard the conversation, so no punishment will be administered," she broke into his sentence.

"What? Really?" Theo usually didn't get any expectations; he was used to getting punished for everything, always having to watch his steps since he was with the Dread Doctors and now even with the pack.

"Yes, but don't do it again."

"Thanks, Ms. Martin."

"You're welcome; I know this is hard on you too. Lydia has been telling me how much you have changed."

Theo smiled at the woman as he walked out; he smirked at the lacrosse player holding a tissue to his nose.

"I can't believe you're being left off," he told the chimera.

"Maybe you should learn to bite your tongue, before something punches you in the face again."

"Hey Liam," Peter crack opened the bedroom door. "It's lunchtime and before the pack skins me alive I'm making you consume something."

Liam rolled over to face the man, tears streaking his face, blood dripping down his arms from his claws. "No." The beta covered himself with the blanket.

"Oh, little one, this isn't an argument I'm willing to lose."

"And you care what Peter? If I die, it's one less person you have to deal with it?"

"You know a year ago; I would have agreed with you. I don't know what it was Malia, watching this pack come together, Scott's leadership, but I have seemed to form a liking for some of you. Your fierceness, spunk, and attitude for some reason Liam I want to keep you alive," Peter looked at the beta.

"Wow, a compliment from Peter Hale."

"I'm trying over here," Peter ripped the covers off Liam. "First, we are washing the blood off of you."

Liam reluctantly carried his weak body over to the sink and washed off his arms. He followed Peter downstairs who impressively actually got food ready for him. Liam sat down and picked at the food.

"Why don't you just eat?" Peter asked the beta.

"I don't know I just can't" Liam stared at him.

"Don't get mad, kid, I just don't get it."

"You don't get a lot of things."

"Yes, but I know what pain is. And you are clearly in pain."

"I am the reason people are dead, my own parents for Heaven's sakes, how do I deserve to live."

"Almost everyone in this pack is responsible for someone dying or at least can blame themselves. I know you have a stronger moral compass than most of this pack, myself included, however I think instead of beating yourself up you should focus on saving someone else. Do something to redeem yourself."

"Thanks," Liam told the werewolf. Liam had been so focused on Peter; he hadn't even realized he ate half of his meal, which was more than he ate in days.

"Half not bad kid; thanks for making it easy on me because I have no clue how the hell to measure anything other than half."

Peter gave Liam his supplement, and the two actually sat down in the living room together and watched TV for the rest of the afternoon.