1. I hate my behna

Chapter One. I hate my behna

Maansi's point of view 

Baking Tip for the day: Don't over mix the batter

It has been three years.

It's a tradition for the Chaudharys' and Vadheras' to get together for two whole months after a gap of three years to celebrate a special memory.

That is how I know it has been three whole fucking years.

Decades back two sisters had promised each other that every third year they'd leave everything and get together for two whole months. To be honest, it sounds very cheesy and overly dramatic, but everything about those two sisters who made that promise, was cheesy and overly dramatic.

The two sisters, the elderly named Jeevika, the younger named Maanvi, those two sisters loved each other till death did them apart.

And probably that is why even death could not separate them, taking them together, so the sisters' could be with each other even in after-life. 

Anyway, like I said, every third year the Chaudharys' pack their bags and shift to Chandigarh for an entire month, to stay with my family. And for the next month, we all shift to Hrishikesh, to their hometown. By the end of the month, the daughters' of the two sisters would celebrate their birthday together with the two families' and then every one would part ways until the next three years.

Both Chaudharys' and Vadheras' hated this tradition, they never got along with each other but the daughters' of Jeevika and Maanvi would be delighted in getting together, because their birthday would mark the end of the two months and unlike their families', they loved each other just like their mothers' loved each other.

But things changed in the last outing. Things changed drastically after what happened three years back.

So, the two sisters' who made this promise was Jeevika Vadhera, my mother, and Maanvi Chaudhary, my massi, and the one I shared my birthday was with my cousin, daughter of Maanvi Chaudhary.

Janhvi 

The cousin I loved dearly, more than I loved my brother or my family as a matter of fact.

Loved

She was my everything, from a best friend to a parent, my therapist, a counselor, sometimes my punching bag and mostly my secret keeper. Distance never kept us apart, we always met once a month and were practically adopted into each other's families.

It was ironic because I was the favourite in her family and she was in mine. Many a times I've seen my family get so emotional whenever she left for Hrishikesh after residing with us. To be honest, I get teary-eyed too when I would leave my Hrishikesh home.

We were the next Jeevika and Maanvi for the two families'. 

Everything was as fine as it could be. 

Except at the last outing, three years back, where she broke all relations, my trust, and me.

The Chaudharys' and Vadheras' never communicated with each other, they hardly spoke anything whenever they were with each other. Of course since Janhvi and I were cousins on my mother's side, so there shouldn't be any relationship other than a mutual understanding to pay respect to the dead.

But to us both, they showered their everything.

It was a little weird to be honest, both families hardly communicated, even when the families would be together for two months, they'd be awkward. Yet, towards us they were so wholesome. They loved us both, and equally might I add, I was a Vadhera, and Jahnvi was a Chaudhary, yet it did not feel like that, I felt more of a Chaudhary just as much as Jahnvi felt like a Vadhera.