V

Driving around the coast I think to myself about the what ifs. What if I just drive south until I hit Holden Beach? What if I make just go to Wilmington and stay there? What if I just turn around an go North and not stop until Virginia Beach? I'm in a boat, I can go where ever. I can drive where ever I want. I can go off the radar an  live in the boat. My thoughts swarm around me. The endless possibilities I can do with Bluegill . While I continue to focus on the possibilities, I hear a siren. Snapping out of my thought process, I look down at the speedometer is inching towards 50. Slowing down the boat police stops.

"Do you know why we stopped you?" A dark lady asks
"My speed..." I softly say taking my hands off the wheel.
"Are you aware that you're going thirty five over?" She asks again placing her hands on her hips.

I shake my head. I've never been pulled over, I feel the lump in my throat as I rub my thumb over my index finger.

"Is this your boat?" She asks again

The lump grows, holding everything in start to quiver as my breathing become  choppy. The bottle breaks again.

"No...it's my grand dad's. I had  a bad night and I needed to get my mind clear..." I splurge out everything. From coming from Holden to the party last night. Mentioning the argument I had with Rafe.

"Calm down," she says getting in the boat. She puts her hands on my shoulders and tell me to sit and take deep breaths. "Take  a deep breath while I go call your grandfather. I just need you to hand me the registration and your I'D."

I hand her everything and smile while I continue to rub my thumb over my index finger. She returns back to her boat and calls Pawpaw while she types stuff in the computer. While she's on the phone I calm down whipping my cheeks. The officer comes back and writes something on a slip of pink paper. I can't believe I'm getting a ticket.

"I got off the phone with your granddad. I'm willing to give you a warning because this is your first ticket and you're not local." The officer states handing me the pink slip. 

I thank her while I put the registration back as well as my drivers license. Starting the boat again I head down south watching my speed and gas. Making my way down the Island I pass a bunch of restaurants. One of then has a dock so I pull over to the dock and tie it to the cleat hitch and walk up the dock. Looking at the other boats tied up I see a familiar boat name. HMS POGUE. Walking to the restaurant I see Pope and JJ throwing spit balls at one another. John B nudges JJ as me makes eye contact with me. JJ follows his eyes contact and smile at me.

I walk over to their table and grab an extra chair.

"Hi." I smile at the table
"Sup Holden," John B replies back.

His busted lip and black eye concerns  me. Granted Rafe looks must worst this morning when I walked out. His blue bandana around his neck covers a vivid mark from less than twelve hour ago.

"How are y'all?" I ask the group.

Pope shifts uncomfortably while JJ suck  in a shark breath. John B looks at me while he rubs the back of his neck.

"Well minus your friend almost killing me, I'm good."

I rub my thumb over my index finger again under the table as last night flashes in my head again.

"I gave hell last night for what Rafe did. I haven't gotten to Topper yet, but I'm still pisssd at him too." I state back.
"Topper almost killed him," JJ snaps smacking his hands on the table. "And Rafe deserved to get knocked  out."

I nod a long. "I playfully elbowed Rafe as a joke. He then said something an picked me up to throw me in the water," I add on to the story. "I kept telling him to stop because I didn't want to get wet and Topper joined in laughing."