XXI

Their laughter gets louder as I hear footsteps moving towards the hall. Making their way around the corner laughing, they all make eye contact with me. Rafe' s eyes go wide as I stand there in disbelief.

"Magnolia-"
"You're unbelievable," I shake my head "just leave me alone."

I walk away, but Rafe grabs my arm ans turns me around to face him.

"Just-just listen for a minute-"
"No you listen! I'm tired and I'm done. You told me to do a line, you also told everyone that we're a thing. Who knows what else you lied about."

I force my wrist away before I walk away again.

"Magnolia!" Rafe yells again running after me.

He grabs my wrist once more bringing me closer. His blue eyes are a little glassy.

"I messed up okay. But I do care about you, I didn't mean the stuff I said back there Magnolia. You're one of my oldest friends, you and Greer are when we were little. I care about you-"
"If you cared about me you wouldn't of made me do a line at the party!" I fire back cutting him off.

My words echo down the hall as my eye start to water. Rafe holds my hand making me pull them back and suddenly slap his cheek. Instantly, he covers his cheek with his hand making him yell.

"You're disgusting." I shake my head turning around.

I make my way down the hallway to the banquet room once more. I should of known something was up, really. I mean I didn't expect it either. Other than him driving me home, I really didn't spend a lot of time with Rafe in general.

I wipe my eyes before going back in the banquet hall The music and laughter still over power the room. Mom and dad are on the dance floor, while Nanni and Pawpaw are talking with other guest.

Making my way towards the food table, I see Pope put a silver tray on one of the burners.

"Holden what's wrong?" Pope asks
"Nothing." I lie stealing another shrimp.

He swats my hand away as he fixes the plates. I smile a bit before heading back to the table.

"Holden."

I turn around back to Pope.

"Yeah?" I ask him.
"I wanted to give you this," Pope starts handing me a folded piece of paper. "Just read it."

I take the paper, smile, then walk away. Opening the paper up, I see its a letter.

Holden,
Meet me at the yacht dock @ 8
- Bird

Bird. It's John B' s nickname from his dad. I smile a bit before folding up the note and stick it in my bra. Going back to table, I see Nanni talk to Ward and Rose. Getting closer, I see Rafe next to them.

"Oh Magnolia," Nanni starts putting her hand on my back."Why don't you and Rafe dance?"

My eyes look at Nanni to Rafe. I don't want to be near him after everything. Especially when he wanted to have sex tonight.

Rafe looks at me and nods. Taking my hand, he leads me to the dance floor. Putting his hand on my waist, I put my hands on his chest.

"Can we-"
"Don't talk to me." I snap looking at him with narrow eyes.

He nods before sucking in a breath. We continue to dance in silence with classical music playing in the background. I look over at Nanni, Ward, and Rose as they watch us. Rafe sees them too before he looks at me.