XXII

Rushing up the dock to the balcony I see Rafe leaning against one of the post. His arms crossed with a juul between his lips blowing thick puffs of vape in the air.

"Yeah?" walking up the steps.

"Where were you?" He asks blowing puffs of smoke.

"The dock. I needed some air." I lie

He nods before putting the juul in his hand.

"Oh really. You needed air?" He question

"Y-yeah I was feeling a little anxious that's all." I tell him

He comes closer to me and wraps me in a hug laying his chin on my head.

"I'm sorry you were feeling anxious...but you weren't shaking at the table. You know, your thumbs and your hands." He replies in a serious tone.

"I felt anxious on the dance floor. Plus what I heard from you-"

Rafe backs away putting his juul to his lips blowing a puff in my face causing me to cough.

"Bull shit." He states bitterly narrowing his eyes.

"Rafe you're scaring me." I inform him backing up away from him.

He moves closer to me as I continue to back up. Bumping into the railing, my heart starts to race.

"What were you doing?" He asks again putting the juul to his lips again.

"Rafe stop. Please." I plead looking at his glossy eyes.

"Just tell me what you were doing." He replies blowing a puff of smoke in my face again.

Rafe moves closer putting his hands on the railing clenching his jaw. He smells like marijuana and mint. My heart starts racing causing my index fingers to tap on the wood.

"I was-"

"She was with me Rafe." John B cuts in walking up the steps.

Looking behind me, John B stands there on the steps.

Rafe backs up from me as he looks at John B. John B walks up to the balcony giving me a sentimental smile.

"She's getting anxious Rafe," John B informs him. He puts his hands in front of him as he slowly makes his way towards me. "Just let her go back inside. Okay?"

My hands start to shake when Rafe walks towards John B. I don't want them to fight like they did that one night. I rush over between them not knowing what I'm doing.

Standing in front of Rafe he looks terrible. The scent of marijuana and mint, the redness in his eyes, plus how they not only appear red, but glossy.

"Rafe you're high. Calm down." I place my hands on his chest.

Rafe looks down at me, his eyes red and glossy. The mixture of mint and marijuana makes me nauseous. My stomach turns as he tries to push past me.

"Get inside." Rafe insist.

I nod before going to the door. Looking back at John B, he give me a head gesture to leave.

Inside, I rush back to the banquet room to get Pope and Kei. I'm out of breath when I get into the hall. I make my way to the food table and run towards Pope. Catching my surprise, he puts his hand on my shoulders.

"Calm down, what do you need?" He asks.

"John-John B and-and Rafe." I reply out of breath.

"What?"

"John B--balcony." I stutter.

Pope quickly takes his apron off and runs towards Kei who's sitting down with her parents. Kei pops up as they make their way to the balcony.

Following after them heading to the balcony, I don't know what to expect. Opening the double doors, Rafe throws the first punch towards John B. His punch hits John B right in his nose causing it to bleed. John B pushes Rafe back making him stumble backwards but manages to maintain his balance before punching John B in the stomach causing him to curl forward.

While John B is down, Rafe punches him again before grabbing onto his banana tightly. This is all too familiar and it needs to stop.

Quickly making my way towards Rafe, I see John B trying to defend himself.

"Rafe stop you're going to kill him!" I yell pulling on his arm.

Rafe pushes me back causing me to stumble backwards. This gives time for Pope and Kei to get John B. Getting back up, I get in front of Rafe grabbing his hands to get is attention away from John B.

"Rafe listen to me. Let's go back inside and dance okay?" I tell him bringing his hands to my face.

In the back I hear John B cough vigorously. I want to run up to comfort him, but I have to make sure Rafe gets away from any of them.

Rafe' s eyes go from John B towards me. He nods before I walk us towards the door. As much as I dislike him and want to slap him, I need to get Rafe away from John B, Pope and Kei.

Heading back to banquet, I grab a water bottle from the table. Giving it to Rafe, he quickly chugs it. Letting out a breath of relieve, I cross my arms.

"What?" Rafe questions a little pissed off.

"You. I'm still mad at everything you've done. You're high, most likely drunk, and you think you can suddenly run my life!" I reply sharply.

I walk back to mom and dad and sit down. A server comes around with champagne glasses and sets the glasses down at the table. The server places a glass in front of me. Thanking him, I take a sip before placing it down again.

Mom smiles before taking a sip.

"Are you having fun?" Mom asks.

"Yeah." I lie

"That's nice," mom smiles. "Have you seen Greer?"

I shake my head no. I haven't seen him since we walked down the steps at the beginning of the banquet. I haven't seen Chelsea either.

Suddenly dad's phone goes off on the table. Grabbing his phone, he excuses himself and quickly answers his phone call.

"What was that about?" I look at mom

"Maybe the electric company? I don't know." Mom replies back looking over to her husband.

Dad comes back putting his phone in his pocket. Sitting down, mom an I look at him with eager eyes.

"Who was on the phone?" Mom asks.

"Alan Holden." Dad replies.