XXIII

"What did he want?" I ask.

"We'll talk about it later Mag," dad smiles quickly changing the subject. "Gloria would you like to dance with me?"

Mom gets up and grabs dad's hand as they head to the dance floor. I see mom smile as dad grabs her hand as they dance. Nanni looks over at them and smiles before nudging Pawpaw. Pawpaw acts quickly taking her hand leading her the floor.

The Cameron's are talking to guest as Rose clings onto Ward's bicept. I bet his arm is looking circulation. Sarah and Topper are dancing together, and Louise is sitting with a bunch of girls on their phones.

Greer is off with this girl I haven't said a word to since I first met her. Who knows where they are.

Rafe is an ass. After the past week I've grew to not like him or his habits. I've fallen victim to drinking and a line of meth, I'm not happy about it, due to the desperation of relaxing my nerves and having fun. I haven't been to one good party since I've arrived, it always ends up in the toilet with me getting anxious or someone getting into a fight because of me.

Even after everything, I end up falling for John B again. I don't know why, I just am. When I'm with him or the Pogues I don't feel anxious. My hands don't shake, my thumbs don't run around my pointer fingers. He makes me feel relaxed.

Thinking of him makes me smile. I don't think of the other day when I slapped John B across the face making him grab my wrist. He apologized for his actions on the dock tonight then kissed me.

_

The banquet ended around eleven that night. With every thing that went down tonight, I was ready to go back to the house.

The drive back to the house was silent but nice. I sat with mom ans dad, while Rafe sat with Greer and Topper. I wish the banquet wasn't what it was, I wish Rafe wasn't such an ass.

With the phone call dad had, he didn't say anything about it. Alan Holden is technically the mayor of Holden Beach. In the late sixties the family developed the Island and it continue to grow ever since.

When we got home, I quickly made my way up the steps. Greer took Chelsea home shortly after mom, dad, Nanni and Pawpaw started talking to the Cameron's outside. After ten minutes, the family all came inside to the living room.

"Hey kids we need to have a family meeting." Dad states sitting down on the couch.

We all follow dad into the living room. Taking a seat on one the chairs, dad clears his throat.

"I got a call from Alan at the banquet," dad states looking at me ans Greer. "He said that the electric and water were back. So tomorrow we're heading back to Holden."

I knew it would happen, going back down to Brunswick. I thought it wouldn't be until later next week.

"We're packing tonight, then we should be on the road by ten tomorrow. Does that sound good?" Mom asks.

Greer an I both nod. Getting up I make my way up the stairs to my room. Grabbing my suitcase, I fold my clothes and put them in. While I'm folding my shirts, I pick up a shirt that isn't mine. The one Rafe gave me that morning when I woke up in his room.

Balling up the shirt, I throw it into the hallway. Finishing up my clothes, I take off my dress and hang it up then put the plastic covering over it. Changing into my pajamas, I put out a basic outfit for the hour drive tomorrow.