XIV

Mom ended up getting a beautiful deep violet, off the shoulder gown. It looked stunning on her when she walked out with it on. With my dress picked put, as well as moms we all head to the checkout. I don't need any alterations, the dress is beautiful an I could get more uses in it then the one Nanni picked out. Nanni pays for both of the dresses without speaking, even when I thanked her. Getting to the car, I hang both dresses up next to me by the door handle. Mom and Nanni get in and it starts to me quiet.

"I held in my words because I didn't want to make a scene in front of everyone," Nanni spats breaking the silence in the car. "I was grateful enough to take you and your mother out shopping for the yacht banquet this weekend. And you missy come in dressed like a slob and get an attitude with me. You're lucky I didn't smack that mouth of yours back there with your tone!" She then looks over at my mom who's staying quiet through it all "And you Gloria, I expected  more from you as a mother. Because you came from Brunswick does not mean you treat Figure Eight like it too. You have raised a disobedient daughter...having her run off with the boat every day, coming home late, and not knowing that she's getting anxious. Some parenting."

Mom's eyes go wide. Looking at me, then back at her mother in law I know that something is going to go down, and I'm the only witness.

"Some parenting? Your son an I raise two smart, caring, and obedient kids. We raised them to work hard in life and that everything isn't handed to them. We moved to Brunswick to make sure the kids live near their grandparents and live in a safe community. Greer is at Coastal Carolina on an academic scholarship, while Magnolia is top of her class and has the opportunity to attend North Carolina State next fall! You can call me whatever the hell you want, but never call me a bad parent."

Nanni looks upset, not a crying upset but angry looking as she grips her steering wheel.

"I gave my son the life he deserved, then he introduces you to the family. He should of married a local twenty years ago. Instead you and him eloped at the courthouse in Wilmington behind everyones back!" Nanni yells back starting the car up again.

I want to cry. I want to yell at Nanni for yelling at mom and I the way she did. She made mom upset the whole car ride back to the house. The drive back to the house seemed eternal with the whole car dead silent. The radio wasn't even on.

When we pulled into the driveway, I waisted no time to grab my dress and quickly go to my room. I put my dress in the closet hanging up then change  in to cotton shorts and an oversized shirt getting into bed. I needed a nap badly.

_

I wake up again a little after three. Checking my phone I don't have any missed calls or text from anyone. As I take my phone I go down stairs to the living room where the guys are watching a golf tournament on TV.

"How are you feeling?" Greer asks me breaking contact with the tv.
"Better, Is it just the four of us here?" I reply back looking around the house
"Yeah, they're all at lunch with Ward and Rose." Rafe states
"Thank God. Nanni is intolerant to shop with. She's-she's so..."
"Prestigious."
"Uptight."
"Stuck up."

I nod while they all agree and laugh. I go to the kitchen and make a bowl of cereal. Eating in the kitchen, Rafe gets up and heads to the fridge grabbing a twisted tea.

"Hey Mag, can I ask ya somethin' ? The banquets I'd this Saturday and I was wondering if you wanted to go with me."

Nanni will continue to nag at me until I would agree to the banquet. It's just one night and that's all. Hell after this week, I should be back in Holden Beach.