08 | The year of Darkness

*
      *
*
|
|
|

The first day of the new year at Hogwarts School felt so utterly different from the last few

The first day of the new year at Hogwarts School felt so utterly different from the last few. Because not only were things changing in the world... They were changing in school. As Mad-Eye Moody and Remus Lupin escorted Azalea and Ginny quickly along the platform which once held a hundred bubbling, energetic students, they could see that it was no longer Hogwarts as they knew it. Muggleborns were eradicated, on the run mostly in blatant fear for their lives and only half-bloods who could provide evidence of their heritage boarded the steaming engine that seemed so miserable when it had once been thrilling to see.

The train was half full when it finally pulled away from the platform, no longer was there opportunity to wave joyously at your loved ones through the window because they fled the second their child was safely on board. The Death Eaters patrolled, and she knew they were searching. Searching for him.

"He's not here" Neville Longbottom demanded when his eyes finally fell upon the Death Eaters loitering in the doorway of their compartment. Of course, they already knew that. They were not stupid enough to allow Harry Potter back to a Death-Eater infested school. Ginny leant her head against Azaleas neck, hair falling in the girls' lap and Azalea held her back furiously. In desperate times, they knew that they only had one another. Luna Lovegood's eyes were dimmed, long gone were the brilliant coloured clothing and accessories, anything that may draw attention to herself. For the four people in the end carriage, there was nothing but solemn expressions.

"We will prevail this year." Azalea nodded firmly because, for some reason unknown to them all, they found comfort in her words. Comfort that she spoke only the truth, though they knew it was all a lie to make them feel better. The year would be nothing but agony for them all but as seventh years who had seen their fair share of violence and pain already, they knew that they would rebel. They knew that they would protest and they knew that would suffer but no war was ever won without sacrifice.

As Azalea watched the rolling green hills go by, they did not provide her with as much joy as they previously had. But she could say conclusively that she was glad of her decision to return to Hogwarts school that year. Somewhere out there, Harry was fighting his own battles and there, at Hogwarts- the school she had been named after- Azalea Hogwarts would defeat her own.

The trolley lady never came, and they didn't expect her to. All things bright and happy had been drained from their lives now, maybe it was the dementors souring around above their heads beyond the train, or merely the lingering of war. They were positively miserable and Neville hugged Luna softly to his chest, the girl falling into an uneasy sleep as Ginny did against Azalea's shoulder. It wasn't safe for them all to sleep at once, and that was the misery of it- they were no longer safe at the place they once called home. 

"I'm ready to fight now Lea" Neville spoke, but his eyes stared deeply beyond the glass as a dementor swept past. "I am ready to avenge my parents and protect those left to fight for. I'm not afraid anymore... I'm ready to be strong."

"Neville. You are one of the strongest people I have ever met. And know this, I will fight with you. You will never be alone in this battle Neville, you are strong. And you are good. You will win this fight because you will fight with all that you are." she assured him and somehow, he managed to sit up stronger in his seat. They had nothing but their own determination and strength.

"Here, I brought some chocolate frogs with me. Can blame my Gran for that." he laughed and it was infectious, a joy that swept through the carriage and woke up the two slumbering girls. Somehow, in the darkness of the Hogwarts express, the four ex-DA members found joy in sadness, they played exploding snap and reminisced, joined quickly by Seamus Finnigan, Lavender Brown and Padma and Parvati Patil. There were noticeable absences, like the golden trio and Dean Thomas, but as laughter managed to spill from their lips for the first time... They knew that they would be okay, as long as they stuck together.

The seventh years were ready to fight, and fight they would...