12| Sanctuary

*
      *
*
|
|
|

Deep within the magical castle of Hogwarts, hidden from sight behind the portrait of the fat lady, the Gryffindor common room was positively bursting at the seams with students of all ages, from all houses loitering in the darkness

Deep within the magical castle of Hogwarts, hidden from sight behind the portrait of the fat lady, the Gryffindor common room was positively bursting at the seams with students of all ages, from all houses loitering in the darkness. Their rebel tribe had done nothing but grow over the past few weeks and many of them were battered and bruised, face miserable but they were still fighting. Blankets and sleeping bags were strewn all across the floor and they knew that they had to find a new location as more and more joined them but for now, they were content in the knowledge that they were at least somewhat safe. Neville and Azalea sat side by side on one of the many sofas, Aubrey sleeping with her head nestled in the princesses neck while Andrew sat atop the armchair, eyes dark as he watched the world go by.

Ginny and Luna were squished side-by-side in an armchair, and none of them spoke for the longest time as those around them slowly fell into sleep. They took rounds now, to keep watch because one night, a week ago, the Slytherins had infiltrated with the help of a Gryffindor traitor and a duel had ensued which set fire to a couch and shattered a vase. They were all equally punished for that one.

Neville had now joined Seamus in looking utterly broken and bruised, the two walked with almost identical hobbling limps, their faces painted a million shades of red and blue, lips busted open but they smiled none the less. Luna, sat on the floor, had a deep groove down from her temple to her chin, cut open but she had the dreamy expression they all loved to see on her, her hair being braided by Pavarti with ribbons of all the house colours.

It was the small things that made them all smile, reading together or playing exploding snap. They'd even had a few turns playing a muggle game that Lavender had provided, Monopoly. They enjoyed the time which it wasted because outside of lessons, they had nothing to do. Quidditch was cancelled, the Library a silent zone and the dementors haunting the castle grounds. It was not the first year at Hogwarts that Andrew and Aubrey had expected, but they were protected by the seventh years who hadn't allowed a single scratch to befall any of the students.

"I saw McGonagall today," Ginny spoke absentmindedly as she stared into the flames of the fireplace. "She said- quietly of course- that if we need anything, anything at all, that her door is always open."Apparently, none of the teachers have heard from Snape since the first day."

"I reckon he's tucked up in his office, too ashamed to show his face. Look at what he's let happen to the place." Neville scoffed somewhat angrily, Andrew nodding along. Andrew had become somewhat of a follower for Neville, his own personal minion but Neville didn't minded. He loved the idea of being able to inspire someone, even in small ways.

"I think we should reopen the DA" Luna stated in a dreamy voice and they all contemplated her words.

"I mean... The room of Requirement would be much better than here." Ginny considered in contemplation and they all exchanged glances.

"We would have to be very careful though, with who we let in," Neville added.

"Say we conjured a room, a room where only supporters of the light side could get in, a place where we could be safe, to live without fear" Azalea listed, brain whirling as she considered what sort of a room would be created under her criteria. "The room can become anything you need it to be. It could be perfect, far better than here. The Carrows can walk through the portrait hole at any moment."

"Nev and I will scope it out." Seamus shrugged, joining them, hopping to sit on the arm of the chair the girls sat in and they all exchanged glances, the other boy nodded along, eager to get out of the common room and do something.

"I don't care what the room becomes, but it needs to be big enough for all of this lot" Lavender huffed, dropping to sit with her legs crossed on the rug. She had grown up incredibly fast over the last year and Azalea was proud to see it. Lavender was the head of the healers, they had books and potions and they were the reason why Neville and Seamus felt no pain as they waltzed around the halls, bloodied and bruised.

Azalea had had perhaps the worst of it all, but fists and kicks could get nothing from the girl's lips, so the Carrows often resorted to using spells on her. Minus a few bruises and two broken ribs at one point, she was fairly unscathed and she owed that to Lavender. The girl was brilliant and no doubt, when this was all over, she would go on to be a healer.

"You can't go now." Colin Creevy frowned, leaning on the back of the couch and they all collectively turned to him. Neville couldn't help but smile at the sight of him, the boy had grown up since their very first meeting but one thing he always retained was his love of photography. Currently, they were collating a photo album of their time at Hogwarts that year and as ridiculous as some people found it, they all knew that the project was providing him with something to do to occupy his hands.

"Got an invisibility spells, A?"

"One, but they'll still hear you if you make a racket." she giggled and the boys grinned in victory.

"Don't worry, we'll be quiet as a mouse." Seamus puffed his chest out proudly and they all smiled together. Slowly, they were prevailing, as they had promised one another on that very first day.