10| Public

*
*
*
|
|
|

***|||

On the first Monday of the Hogwarts new year, people shuffled uncomfortably through the cool corridors, blissfully unaware of what was to come, like cattle quickly approaching the slaughter and Azalea was among them, Neville close to her left side and Luna on the other. As much as Azalea hated the way eyes lingered on her as she walked, she knew that it brought comfort to some of them to see someone who wasn't visibly afraid... If only they knew how terrified she was under the surface.

A childlike scream of pure agony is what froze the steadily moving stream of students, the youngers exchanging quickly frightened gazes and the older practically sprinted through the maze of halls they knew well, to the source of the commotion. Something of a circle of sorts had formed and students were watching the happenings within the circle with masks of horror and distress. Even those who wore green striped ties had faces of horror.

The second Azalea's sparkling doe eyes met the occupants of the circle, the fear in her blood instantly cut off and replaced with nothing but pure and true determination. The boy whimpering on the stone floor was contorted in pain, face smooth and youthful- he was no older than thirteen in his yellow tie. Stood with shark-like grins, overjoyed like children, were the Carrows. The pair beamed in victory as they shot cruciatus curses continually from either side. Noticeably, Neville stopped in silent fear before doing his best to collect himself.

"Stop it" the words left her lips before she even had the chance to think of what she was saying. The daughter of Hogwarts strode forward strongly, instantly assessing the boy as she crouched to his left. The little Hufflepuff's face split into one of appreciation and abundant relief as he panted against the stone but the fear remained present. "What is the meaning of this?"

"Ooh, it's the princess" the female Death Eater cackled and Azalea kept her face firm, uncaring and unmoving as she kept her hand placed protectively on the boy's shoulder. "Well, princess. This Blood traitor was heard preaching for Harry Potter." she spat the words out as if they were acid on her tongue and Azalea remained unmoving.

"Is this true?" she questioned the boy softly, voice sweet and he shivered, eyes wide as he stared at her. "It's okay, you can tell the truth." he nodded and she smiled softly, wiping a tear from his chubby cheek as she glanced around at those who had congregated, all awaiting what she would do in excited anticipation. "Neville." she beckoned and he made his way forward. "Please take...?"

"Andrew" the boy shuddered out. 

"Please take Andrew to Madam Pomfrey." she smiled sweetly and Neville nodded in determination, using all his strength to pull the frail body into his chest and stand. Andrew flopped like a ragdoll against the seventh year boy as they made their way away from the scene, his first year friends hastily scampering behind them, Andrews bags locked in their hands. 

"Someone has to punished for this, Princess. " The male Carrow piped up and she stood strongly, unfazed as she glanced around the crowd. 

"Please, go to your classes." she ushered and everyone stared at one another before begrudgingly following the orders given to them. The Carrows had identical excited grins, waiting to see what she would do. "I too, am a Harry Potter sympathiser," she informed with a gentle shrug. "In fact, I love him," she smirked victoriously at the twin looks of disgust she received as she said that, the Carrows exchanging glances. 

"So... You are accepting the punishment for the... Andrew boy?"

"I am. I was made to protect the students of Hogwarts and if this is how... I will gladly accept." she smiled, holding her arms out wide with a content grin on her face and those who lingered in the doorways of the classrooms on either side as the Death Eaters rose their eyes in sync. The bolt of light that flashed toward her had her dropping to all fours but she did not allow a single sound to spill through her perfect lips as spell after spell was thrown her way. Her teeth ground uncomfortably, eyes screwed up as every muscles and organ seered with agonising pain but she wouldn't give them the satisfaction of seeing her cry.

When they dropped their wands, finally to their side, she panted on the floor for a long while before a falsely amused giggly swept through her lips, almost manic sounding. It angered them to hear it and as they used whatever spells they could think of to maximise pain- they silently vowed that they would get a scream out of Azalea Hogwarts, even if they had to punish her for days. Elsewhere, the students in the classrooms were inspired...