19| Festive

*
    *
*
|
|
|

The students of Hogwarts School for witchcraft and wizardry would not have even known that Christmas was fast approaching, if not for the fact that they were all being sent home for said Christmas

The students of Hogwarts School for witchcraft and wizardry would not have even known that Christmas was fast approaching, if not for the fact that they were all being sent home for said Christmas. The day before they were set to return to their respective homes, as they sat around after dinner in the Room Of Requirement, a new development occurred. From nowhere, in a distant corner, a brilliant Christmas tree emerged a marvellous emerald colour with boxes and crates of decorations at its feet. Along the walls, trimming appeared along with stockings and Azalea smiled at the pure joy that crossed many of their faces.

Aubrey and Andrew stared wide-eyed at one another in pure excitement before they went barreling toward the collection of decorations. There was no doubt that the two of them had become the closest of friends since being taken under the wing of the second years and the older students looked on somewhat motheringly as they all beamed with joy and decorated the tree together. 

"It's beautiful, isn't it? Having something so simple that brings so much joy" Luna hummed somewhat airily and they collectively turned to face her, seeing the excitement in her big eyes. And she was absolutely correct, it was beautiful. Something so small as a Christmas tree can make all the difference. Christmas used to be a glorious occasion for them all, and now it was paling in significance but they tried to hold onto the little things in that time of darkness, to make them feel better.

Somewhere in the new festivities, a piano had conjured and Azalea sat down with a silent hum before she placed her hands on the keys. It was the only instrument she ever learnt to play, with the help of Rowena and Christopher when she was younger. The founders never found such things very important, but Helga had encouraged whatever Azalea had ever wanted to do and so she could hold a gentle rhythm, adding at least a little more light to the event. 

"I didn't know you could play" Luna smiled as she took a soft seat beside Azalea, watching her hands intently. 

"I'm not exactly a professional, but I can hold a tune" she giggled and it was marvellous to see, that kind of happiness on her face after such a long time where it had been absent. There were good days and bad and Azalea knew for certain that not as many of them would be there after Christmas. The seventh years had spent the day writing letters to the first, second and third year parents, in detail explaining the happenings occurring at Hogwarts and asking sincerely for them to keep their children home the next year, for their protection. Hogwarts, which had once been their home, was no longer safe.

"I don't know how many more days we will have like this" Neville commented absentmindedly as he leant against the piano and Azalea followed his gaze to where Andrew was struggling to pick up Aubrey so she could decorate the top of the tall tree. They were still young and therefore- small. Smiling, Neville made his way forward and picked up the girl, easily placing her on his shoulders.

Aubrey giggled in excitement as Andrew handed her to decorations for the tree from his space on the ground. And it was amazing to see Neville interact so happy with them all. They could all collectively see Neville being a teacher someday. Even Lavender and the twins had peeled themselves away from their healer reading-up to watch the festivities. 

"Let's play a game" Luna beamed. "What would you be doing on Christmas day, if this war wasn't happening?"

"That's a really depressing game, Luna" Seamus informed bitterly and she completely ignored him. 

"I'll start. My dad and I would go for a walk and then have dinner together and do some painting," she informed with a dreamy smile and the others exchanged glances.

"Luna... You can still do that?" Cho frowned.

"Yes but it won't be as nice now." she shook her head and they all collectively laughed.

"I would have all my brothers home, we'd have a big family dinner and play cheesy games" Ginny informed sadly, her dream was of course, slightly less realistic. 

"What about you, Zee?" Seamus questioned.

"I would be wherever Harry was. He is my family now," she stated calmly. "I imagine we'd be with the Weasleys... if you would take us in your dream Christmas?" she questioned Ginny with a soft smile and the girl grinned eagerly. 

"Of course Aza, you're as much family as anyone else." and that was all that was needed to make her smile as the song drew to a close. Because, at least if she had the Weasley, she wouldn't be alone on Christmas day. She had already planned to go home with the girl but it felt a lot nicer in the knowledge that they actually wanted her there, that they appreciated her presence. 

Perhaps Christmas wouldn't be so bad after all...