18| Memories

*
*
*
|
|
|

Azalea lay softly, sleeplessly

Azalea lay softly, sleeplessly. The hammock folded inwards around her like a cacoon and it calmed her as she swayed, doe eyes scanning the rafters above her head, the thick blankets tucked up protectively. A few months ago, she had fallen asleep in Harry's arms, blissfully in love and unaware of the future. She had always known that inevitably, they would be separated, she just never truly knew how painful that separation would be. As much as she knew he was doing the right thing in having gone away, she couldn't help but wish that she'd put up more of a fight to keep him with her. 

For the hundredth time in the past few months, sadness welled in her warm brown eyes and trickled down her tanned cheeks. She may not drop a single tear as the Carrows beat her mercilessly, but she would sob every night in the absence of Harry, hand pressed firmly over her mouth to keep the sound in and prevent the others from hearing.

Azalea didn't want those around her to see how weak she was. Because she was unreasonably frail without him. She longed for the excitement she had once felt every time Merlin or Hedwig would approach with a letter clasped to their foot, for her. She longed for the feel of his hand in hers, the feel of their lips pressed together marvellously. She even longed for the pain she had once felt every time they had touched because it had signified that he was near. Currently, she was curled up in one of the many jumpers she had stolen from him since their very first meeting and the scent of Harry was slowly fading.

She wanted to have him there with her more than anything. Azalea felt so miserable and after a long while, she realised what the feeling was- she was feeling self-pity. She absolutely hated the feeling. She was feeling sorry for herself all while a war was raging around her and it didn't matter how many times she told herself to be strong, she missed him. She missed him so much it physically hurt. She just wanted to hold him, to love him and keep him safe.

"Zee" Seamus' voice was soft through the darkness and she knew she had let a sob slip through her lips. The boy was soon beside her, pulling her into a tight hug, half lifting her right out of the hammock, slowly she climbed back down to the ground, allowing the short boy to hold her tightly as she sobbed openly into his chest. Seamus was no Harry Potter, but in the past few months, he had become something else. Seamus Finnigan was the brother Azalea had never had and she was a sister to him. They sat there, sobbing in the darkness of the Room of Requirement, uncaring if any of the others woke up. Azalea deserved to feel sadness, in Seamus' opinion. She had been strong for so long but the one thing the room could not give her was the thing she needed most... Harry Potter.

"It's okay, Zee" he hushed. "Somewhere out there, among fighting for his life and saving the world, I know for certain that Harry is thinking about you. How could he not? I bet you are in his every thought." and it was that little reassurance that she needed to pull herself together and swallow the sobs. She knew she would never be truly happy, not until he was there but her friends were strong enough to help her through the sadder times.