13 | rice porridge

Summer came fast as the music turned up to full volume. The sky blazed blue, and the sun is a celebration of yellow, free and bright. The trees rose to the occasion, donning their best verdant hues, and everywhere are the flowers, the scattered rainbow that they are.

The summer break had started for everyone, but Itachiyama was still going strong with their practices. Interhigh was coming up fast after all, with only a month left to spare.

The team was in the midst of their practice when they finally notice something was off.

"Where's (Y/N)?" Komori looked around for a certain (H/C)-haired adolescent.

Waves of heat coursed through her blood, a cold sweat glistened in her gaunt features. Her eyes sunken, and her skin sallow, everything ached, everything sagged. The glass of water stared at her from the bedside table, and she took a sip before plopping back onto her pillow.

Sakusa shrugged, last time he saw and talked to her was two days ago at practice. It was unusual for her not to show up. Had something unfortunate happened to her? (Y/N) was dedicated to her job as the team's manager, suddenly not showing up was odd for her.

The practice eventually concluded, and Sakusa debated in his head if he should go find out what happened to her. Incidentally, he remembered that she had given him her number. He fished out his phone and searched through his contact list for her name.

His phone rang for a few seconds before a groggy voice picked up. "Hello?"

On the other side, (Y/N) was tucked into her bed with multiple blankets swaddling her. She was in the middle of sleeping when her phone went off. She let out a slow groan before rolling over her bedside table and answering the call.

"Are you okay?" Sakusa asked over the phone.

"Yeah, I'm fin- ACHOO!" He could hear a distant sneeze through the phone.

"Are you sick, is that why you didn't come to the practice?"

"Maybe."

The line went silent for a few seconds before Sakusa popped a question.

"Are your parents home?"

"No, they went out of town for business work, why-"

The call suddenly ended, and (Y/N) stared at her phone. "Hello? Helloo??" But no reply.

She exasperatedly sighed before closing her eyes and drifting off into her dreamland. She had barely closed her eyes for an hour before her doorbell starting ringing.

Her tiredness wasn't helping. She just wanted to go back to sleep, why couldn't anyone understand that.

She wrapped a thin blanket around her body before walking sluggishly towards the door. She looked through the peephole to see Sakusa with his signature ugly glare, standing there.

"Kiyo? What are you doing here?" She quickly flung the door open.

Sakusa could see her face had paled, and her eyes were sunken. She looked so tired as if she hadn't slept for days.

"I brought you some rice porridge." He held up a bag that contained a fairly big metal thermo lunch box.

"Oh." (Y/N) shifted to the side so that Sakusa could come in. After closing the door, she trudged towards the couch and plopped down, face first. Sakusa followed shortly after and placed the bag onto the coffee table.

"Did you take your medicine yet?"

"Yes," (Y/N) groaned out.

"Did you go to the doctor?"