39 | sparkling starlights

The air was rather cold as Sakusa walked through the lobby with his coat draped over his shoulders.

The tension that had kept him from sleeping melted into nothing once he stepped into the lobby of the hotel. Except for his faint footsteps, there was a comfortable silence that surrounded him like a fresh, pristine, white blanket of snow on a winter day.

The sensation of being alone made him feel at ease as the lobby was free of germ-filled humans and unnecessary loud noises. Even the staff members weren't present, despite having a 24/7 reception. It was just him and his thoughts, exactly what he needed. Peace.

After a long day of being constantly on edge, he never thought he would feel serenity once more. Frost grew on the windows as he opened the door to the outside world, breathing in a generous amount of the lung-chilling air. He wrapped his scarf snuggly around his neck and threw on his coat before continuing outside.

There was absolute stillness. No air stirred the grass or leaves and no clouds drifted in the sea of dark blue above. No water dripped or flowed. Not a sound could be heard either close at hand or in the far off distance.

For some reason, on that day, a fluttering sensation inside his body told him something was waiting for him outside and urged him to go check it out. It kept him awake, and he couldn't shake it off.

Sakusa quietly groaned to himself. When did he ever let an urge control him, even allowing it to prevent him from getting his beauty sleep? Usually, ignoring such feelings would do the trick, but this time, no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't stop thinking about it.

Stepping outside, he spotted a shadowy figure sitting on the bench. Their back was hunched over while they hugged their knees, their chin resting on the knees as they stared into the velvety, dark blue sky.

It wasn't until he got closer could he see the recognizable face of (Y/N), which was illuminated by the moon above. It made her skin glow and (E/C) eyes twinkle like the stars that filled the sky on a cloudless night. A sense of serenity plastered across her face. It freed her from all her pain and problems, even if it was only temporary.

Alluringly, she would blink her eyes from time to time, allowing her eyelashes to flutter like the wings of a butterfly. To Sakusa, her eyes were simply spellbinding. In the renewed silence, only her eyes glowed like they were made of stardust and then cut out of the sky.

"Couldn't sleep?"

(Y/N) snapped out of her trance and blinked a few a times before whipping her head around to see Sakusa's tall figure. "Kiyo! What are you doing up at this hour? Are you alright?"

"I could ask you the same question." The frigid air made Sakusa's breath visible as he spoke and slowly neared (Y/N).

"Ah. I'm alright... just couldn't sleep."

"...I see."

The silence was comfortable, the silence between two long-time friends. They enjoyed the warmth of companionship, rather than the noise of chattering incessantly as they sat on the rundown bench, watching the stars above them.

For Sakusa, her silence was somehow comforting and spoke for itself. It was peaceful in a way where he could feel at home. He closed his eyes, breathing in the freezing but fresh air. His lungs expand as if on automatic refill, and with the rising of his chest came a sense of calm.

"Wait!" Sakusa snapped his eyes back open at (Y/N)'s sudden yell. "Are you okay? What did they tell you?!"

(Y/N) had almost completely forgotten about the confrontation between Sakusa and the teachers. She was too busy processing what had happened that she forgot to check up on the person who risked his safety and comfort, just to make sure she was safe. Now, he was possibly going to face the consequences because of his selfless actions.