special | turtle? tortoise?

8-9 years before the current setting

The summer sun beat upon their back relentlessly, forcing beads of sweat down their forehead as they chased each other. On that sultry day in mid-August, white heaven-bound birds were as brilliant rays from wind-dappled sea-water. Their brightness amid otherwise infinite blue, gliding as free souls.

"Give it back!" A young boy chased after another young girl through the tall, unkempt grass.

"Not until you catch me, Kiyo!" She waved the hand sanitizer in the air as she looked back and stuck out her tongue. Sakusa huffed out in annoyance but proceeded to chase her around the field.

One moment (Y/N) was rushing forward, eyes on the track ahead and face showing her girlish exuberance. The next, she's flying in a superman pose, yet her expression is one of shock and horror.

"Oww... What did I just trip over? It didn't feel like a rock..."

She rolled over and hugged her knees. Sakusa walked over and snatched the hand sanitizer off the ground before walking over to (Y/N) and tagging her. "Got you. Are you okay?"

"I think I'm dying," deadpanned (Y/N).

"You're dying?" Sakusa asked concerningly and raised his eyebrows. "I'll get your mom-"

"No, it's just an expression." (Y/N) jumped back onto her feet and brushed the dirt off her clothes. "See, I'm not actually dying, so you don't need to get my mom."

"Oh..."

"Now, to find out what I tripped on, cause it definitely didn't feel like a rock." (Y/N) ambled towards the dome-like object to see a tiny head poking out the large dome.

"A turtle! Look, Kiyo! It's a giant turtle!"

Sakusa recoiled in horror from the animal and scowled. "Ew, get that thing away from me. It's dirty."

"What do you mean? We need to save it! We need to get it back into the water!" (Y/N) gently hoisted the heavy turtle into her arms. "Woah! It's as big as my face!"

She stumbled around as she tried to support the weight of the turtle on her arms. It was undoubtedly hard for an adult to carry, much less a child.

She sucked in her stomach and lifted it with all her might, successfully balancing it after awhile. "L-Let's go find a pond, quickly!"

Sakusa remained stoic on the outside, but inside, he was outright shocked at (Y/N)'s strength. He watched as the young girl finally made it onto the sidewalk and began trudging down the path. The turtle was as big as her head, maybe even bigger. Imagine getting slapped by her. That wouldn't end well...

"Come on, Kiyo! At least help me find a pond!"

"Fine."

• • •

They walked around for a while as the summer heat got the better of them. In this heat, even the trees appear defeated. Leaves that should be firm and upward tilting; were drooped and flaccid as old lettuce. But (Y/N) was determined to find a pond for the turtle.

"Oh my, what do we have here?" A relatively old lady with a cane approached them. "That's quite a big turtle you have, what are you planning to do with it?"

(Y/N) beamed. "We're bringing it back to the pond!"

"That's very nice dear, but isn't it quite heavy for a young girl like you?" Suddenly, she turned to glare at Sakusa and raised her cane at him. "And you, a young boy like you should be helping a lady carry her things, what kind of gentlemen are you?"