19 | feeling alive

"Why did I agree to go again?"

(Y/N) was dragging the boy's of the Itachiyama's volleyball club to the beach as their summer break progressed. Everyone liked the idea except the expected Sakusa, who declined the invitation until he heard she was going to bring everyone else whether he went or not. Now here he was, trudging on the sidewalk that lined the beach.

Everyone attended except Iizuna, who couldn't attend because he had to deal with family businesses.

"Don't you think you're slathering too much sunscreen on yourself?" (Y/N) peered curiously at Sakusa, who was practically enveloped in a thick layer of sunscreen. Every 30 minutes, he would apply another layer after another layer. (Y/N) couldn't help but be concerned for his well-being. Was putting on that much sunscreen even HEALTHY?

"This isn't much," Sakusa says and smeared another layer of sunscreen on his arms. At this point, he looked as white as snow with all the sunscreen.

The sign read "Onjuku Beach" as they arrived upon finding a spot away from the crowd, something Sakusa demanded. Everyone casually walked onto the sand while Sakusa hesitantly stood a foot away from touching the "germy" substance.

He stared at it for a good minute before letting out a deep sigh. All he could think about were the germs in the sand and how disgusting it was. His fingers tingled as thoughts ran through his mind.

"Come on, Kiyo!" (Y/N) noticed his reluctance and gently grabbed his hand. She could feel him slightly jump at the contact as Sakusa widened his eye.

He relaxed once he saw that it was just (Y/N). "It will be fine! You need to relax once in a while, or you'll get sick."

"Sick?" Sakusa brooded as (Y/N) dragged him to where the group was setting up. "Just this once..."

• • •

Upon arriving at their location, Matsushima and Yoneda were seen setting up the volleyball net, and Komori was cracking open a can of melon soda.

"Save some for me!" Matsushima whined and pulled the last knot tightly before running over to the cooler.

"Hey! Don't just run off like that!" Yoneda yelled after him as he struggled to tie the net up without Matsushima.

Sakusa grimaced at the sight and reluctantly sat down on a beach chair. He watched as Matsushima dug through the cooler for a can of melon soda.

"Aren't you sweating with that mask on?" (Y/N) inquired Sakusa.

"No, I'm fine," Sakusa replied, but (Y/N) could see the bead of sweat on his forehead that dripped down his chin.

"You need something to cool you down." (Y/N) threw him a bottle of iced green tea, which he effortlessly caught.

Sakusa inspected the bottle for a few seconds before taking off his mask and taking a tiny sip. His eyes lit up once his tongue came in contact with the icy goodness. The chilled bottle was a godsend to the hot weather. Crisp, clean, and refreshing, not too bitter or astringent, and definitely not too sweet. He liked it.

(Y/N) caught the rare sight of Sakusa's face lighting up. Although he didn't smile, the sight made her feel all fuzzy and warm (or maybe she was having a heat stroke, who knows). It made her smile like a fool.

"Hey! Let's start a game!" Matsushima bounced up and down as he threw the volleyball in the air. He was having a sugar rush from chugging down a can of melon soda and couldn't contain himself anymore.

"That doesn't sound so bad, count me in!" Yoneda grinned.

"Me too!" Komori waved both of his hands.