32 | dry flower

The celebration after Itachiyama's win at Interhigh was short-lived. Exhaustion prevailed over everyone, so they decided that the best way to commemorate their hard work was to rest instead.

After a long hard week at work, nothing was better than a good night's sleep and two days off.

A smile eternally stained (Y/N)'s lip as she walked with a spring in her step along the dry road. Nothing could ruin her day. She was on her way to the Sakusa family's residence to deliver pastries her mom had made.

The sweet, savoury aroma wafted through the fresh summer air. Her stomach clenched with hunger at the thought of sweet, melon pans.

The sky was awash with various shades of grey in places a chink of light managed to break through, but otherwise, it was almost as dark as pre-dawn. The air was humid and smelt of storms.

(Y/N) eyed the sky nervously, the clouds that had been wispy and white that morning were now darker and denser. She quickened her pace. Today was not the day to be caught in a downpour.

As she turned the corner, her luck for the day depleted as she was caught in the sudden downpour. Just great.

The clouds above her oozed and billowed across the awakening sun, casting the meadow into shadowy darkness. A jagged bolt of lightning ripped the sky in half, and she began to run, wincing as each icy raindrop pierced her skin. Her posture was now weakened by the weight of her soaked clothes.

Shielding the basket full of pastries with her body from the cloudburst, she continued running to where the Sakusa family resided.

Out of breath and drenched, she finally arrived at their doorstep with the basket full of pastries that were hopefully dry.

"(Y/N)-chan? It's been a long time! How are you? Oh my, how much you've grown-"

The door opened, revealing Sakusa's mother, who eyed (Y/N)'s drenched figure concerningly and the sky before ushering her in.

"Quickly, come in before you catch a cold!"

It was one of those rare days when Sakusa's mother was not working, and (Y/N) just so happened to be there and able to see her again during her delivery.

She hurried into the house as Sakusa's mother closed the door behind her. A puddle of water formed under her, and she was quick to apologize to Sakusa's mother for the mess.

"It's all right, this can be cleaned up, but look at you! You're soaked!"

Droplets of water drenched her hair, skin, and clothes. They fell off one by one onto the floor, while she realized how her clothes clenched to her skin. She didn't care for her clothes as much, all she could think about was-

"The pastries!" (Y/N) blurted out and immediately went to check on them. Her eyes brightened, and she held a hand over her chest once she saw that they were all dry.

"Who's at the door- oh, (Y/N)." Sakusa emerged from the living room and looked her up and down before scrunching his nose. "You're dripping water all over the floor."

"Kiyoomi!" His mother snapped. "We can clean that up later. For now, let's get (Y/N)-chan cleaned up and dried first. She needs a fresh set of clothes and a shower."

"How is she going to get a fresh set of clothes when it's pouring outside?"

"She can borrow yours."

Sakusa stiffened, and his mouth dropped while his eyebrows knitted at the statement. "My clothes?! Why my clothes?"

His mother furrowed her eyebrows back. "We can't have her wear my clothes. It would be impolite as a host. Your clothes will probably fit her better too. Don't tell me you expect her to stay in those wet clothes."