36 | lionheart

"(Y/N)?" Komori frowned. "That's true. I didn't see her walk ahead of us either. Do you think she's alright?"

Sakusa's nerves frayed to the quick. The fear thoughts looped around in his mind until there was no room for anything else. There was an uneasy feeling in his gut that told him something horrible happened to (Y/N). The dread crept over him like an icy chill, numbing his brain.

There was no time for his mind to freeze. He had to think fast.

"Inform the teachers that (Y/N) is missing," Sakusa slowly breathed out.

"How about you?" Komori sputtered out and frantically waved his arms around. He was also worried for (Y/N)'s wellbeing.

"I'm going to look for her."

"But the start of the trail is at least three hours from here! Maybe we should just let the teachers handle this! And you might get lost yourself!"

Sakusa pulled down his mask and looked at Komori straight in the eyes. "That's why I'm going to look for her. By the time we inform the teachers and find help, anything could happen to (Y/N)."

Komori gulped. Sakusa was dead serious about searching for (Y/N) on his own.

"I'll be fine. Go inform the teachers already."

"Be careful!"

• • •

Dusk was falling rapidly. The light drained away; there was barely enough even for shadows. It came sooner than expected, the last of the sun's rays cosseted behind the soft grey cloud.

Sakusa's view slowly faded to blackness, and the night began. He continued following the path back, but there was still no sign of (Y/N). Only trees and more shrubbery surrounded him.

At that moment, it was Sakusa's bones that felt the chill, as if he was walking in the snow instead of autumn leaves, and it was stealing everything that was him.

Even so, his mind was set on one thing; to find (Y/N) and make sure she was safe.

A familiar colour caught his eyes as he briefly scanned the surroundings while walking. If he hadn't stopped for a moment, Sakusa wouldn't have noticed a piece of dim green cloth skewered through a tree branch. It was the same colour as his and (Y/N)'s scarf.

He took the cloth and continued inspecting his surrounding once more. If his intuitions were correct, (Y/N) must've been here.

His anxiety came as an electrical storm in his brain that, quite honestly, was painful. It's different from a headache, and it felt the same as intense sorrow, perhaps as a sort of frozen panic with nowhere to go.

Something horrible happened to (Y/N), and he wasn't quick enough to notice. Now, because of his negligence, (Y/N) was who knows where in the wild. If only, just only, he had paid more attention to her, this wouldn't have happened.

Sakusa's heart felt like it was going to explode, and eyes were wide with fear. He could taste saliva thickening in his throat and beads of sweat trickling down his brow.

But it all slowly vanished when he saw trail of crushed grass behind some shrubbery, which guided down to the foot of the hill. It looked as if someone was recently here. Could it have been (Y/N)?

Without a second thought, he followed the path of crushed grass that strayed from the main trail. The grass could've been crushed by a wild animal, but it also could've been (Y/N).

Sakusa hoped that trusting his intuition was the right thing to do, or he would've been in major trouble.

• • •