41 | bittersweet

Red, orange and yellow, in various shades. All of them floated gracefully on the soft breeze. Whispers between leaves filled the air, whispers and mutters. The air was cool and crisp, like a refreshing drink of cool water after chewing mint-flavoured gum. The breeze fluttered around, gently caressing everything it touched with fingers that had been a comfort to so many over their long, lonely years.

(Y/N) felt her eyes slowly ease shut as she basked in the gentle rays of the blooming sun. On that day, the sun was just as bright, yet bringing more warmth than before. There was a crunch to the snow as the melt began—beneath were the slippery ice and the compacted snow.

It was hard to believe it had just snowed that night when all the snow quickly melted away.

"There you are!"

She opened her eyes to see Komori leaning over her with a wide smile.

"Woah, you and Sakusa look exhausted! It makes me wonder what you guys had done last night to look this tired... Don't tell me-!" Komori leaned away, faking a gasp as (Y/N) pushed herself off the bench she was sitting on and pointed at him.

She felt the heat bloom on her cheeks as she stammered out a response. "You better not get the wrong idea!"

"I'm just kidding," he replied playfully.

"When did you begin teasing like Matsushima? It seems like he's been really rubbing off on you..."

"Anyways, I'm here to congratulate you! It must've taken a lot of guts to confess like that."

"So you do know what actually happened last night." (Y/N) covered her face with both of her hands, unable to face the embarrassing memory replaying through her head.

"Of course! Sakusa ended up telling me after I caught him coming back in the middle of the night. Boy, the look on his face when I asked him about it! It was unforgettable."

She couldn't tell if that was supposed to be a good or bad thing.

"I didn't expect him to tell anyone that quickly..." Knowing Sakusa, he would've wanted the whole thing to be kept a secret or at least discreet. The fact that Komori knew so easily showed how much Sakusa trusted him.

"Don't worry. I won't tell anyone. Who knows what Sakusa would do to me if I told anyone..." Komori shuddered at the thought of Sakusa's ice-quiet fury.

(Y/N) sighed and rubbed her bleary eyes. She slightly regretted staying up that night, but her brain had refused to cooperate.

As she lied on the bed, getting ready to rest for the night, liquid adrenaline still flowed through her. It made her tingle and move around as if she was dancing in bed. A smile crept, and the air grew thick with a tenderness that couldn't help but make her breathe slower, deeper, happier. So it finally happened.

Now, she was facing the consequences. But if anything, she wouldn't say she completely regretted staying up that night. She quietly thanked herself for staying up that night because if she didn't, perhaps her feelings would have never been revealed.

"Speaking of which, where is Kiyo?" (Y/N) asked.

"I haven't seen him since this morning when I left our room." Komori stuffed his hands into his pockets. The cold that had seemed mild at first now numbed his face and hands. "Maybe he's waiting in the lobby?"

"It's starting to get cold again. We should head back inside."

"Good idea."

Upon entering the lobby, they immediately spied the raven-haired man they were looking for. Hiding away from the crowd of people that gathered, he stood with a drained face, indicative of the lack of sleep he got that night.