40 | paper hearts

Meeting him was a fate, being his friend; a choice.

Breath pale against the numbing air, (Y/N) blinked thoughtfully as the frost patiently kissed her face, captivated by the soft, dusty illusions of light that sat heavily on her eyelashes. Patches of snow laid untouched on the frosted grass. She adored the snow, more so when it was falling.

She turned her head to face Sakusa but felt the heat rise to her cheeks as Sakusa looked in her direction. He carefully cocked his head to the side when (Y/N) snapped her head away, knowing that if she continued to stare, she would get lost in his sharp eyes. She could feel his eyes still on her as she silently inhaled and exhaled, hoping that his thoughts about her were good.

Sakusa found himself captivated by (Y/N) whose features seemed to glow under the moon and stars above. Her silence was somehow comforting and spoke for itself. It was peaceful in a way where he could feel somewhat at home.

Their passion bonded them together, their laughter and their good times kept them happy. Then (Y/N) went away, and Sakusa ceased to function as he had before. There was a hole, an emptiness where she had been.

As Sakusa was surrounded by different people, tasks, he could still feel her presence, her smile, her silliness. He was never with her, but he found himself with her all the time anyway.

Suddenly, snow danced in the light, a choreographed ballet conducted by the gentle wind. (Y/N) watched her eyes grew that tiny bit wider. Snow in so early? Soon, her eyes slowly returned to normal when she remembered she was in Hokkaido. Of course, it would snow much earlier there than in Tokyo.

She held her palms out as she caught the silvery flakes drifting down, glittering in the bright light of the harvest moon. They fell soundlessly, taking their time before they reached their destined places of rest, enveloping everything in a calm, silent coldness that was comforting in its special way.

"Ah, it's snowing..." Sakusa quietly sighed and tucked his head into his coat. As (Y/N) glanced at him, she could see the colourless, cold confetti of snowfall onto Sakusa's eyelashes and hair. To (Y/N), the sight was too ethereal. The flakes landed onto his raven curls so gracefully. It almost looked like it was placed deliberately.

Seeing him made her heart twirl. Hearing his voice made her stomach flutter. (Y/N) couldn't help but feel this way about him.

She was in love with him. She always was.

Sakusa would never leave her mind. He was always there; mentally if not physically. It was just incomprehensible. He was her one stable force, her one stability in a world filled with chaos and she so desperately needed in her life. He was the one who always looked out for her in a way no one else could do better. She was in love with him, and she couldn't believe she had only just realized it.

The humidity of her heart increased rapidly. There was no looking back. She had fallen in love with a raven-haired germaphobe, and there was nothing she could do but love him with every ounce of her body as it tingled with feelings uncontrollably.

The feeling was so strange; it stretched throughout her whole body. It's overwhelming, yet made her feel complete. It had no bound nor length nor depth; it was just absolute. It felt as though she was in a dangerous fire, yet completely safe at the same time. It felt as though someone had given her peace.

It was strange – frightening even – how she could go from being complete strangers to then being completely infatuated by Sakusa. (Y/N) started to wonder how she would be able to live without him because she was sure as hell couldn't imagine being without him now. She knew they were only young, and most people would consider her to be foolish and naïve, but it was true when she said that she loved him more than she could ever love herself.