34 | polaris

And so the autumn arrived with a buoyant lack of subtly. It came with regal ease, content to arrive with slow grace. Though, the first leaves have tumbled to the soil so abundant with rain, most remain green, fluttering in the strengthening wind.

The trees are laughing once more, dressed in their carnival clothes, the gold and scarlet of the autumn days. They played about the earthy hues of the branch and trunk, proud flags in any sky.

The train platform was filled with students in their second-year from Itachiyama. Everyone was waiting for the bullet train to arrive for their trip to Hokkaido, a special school trip for the second-years only.

"Did Kiyo just disappear?" (Y/N) squeezed through the students to find Komori.

"Probably hiding from the crowd." Komori casually shrugged. "Don't worry. He'll be fine, one way or another."

A burst of wind flew through (Y/N)'s hair as the train halted to a stop. That's the bullet train for you. Hitting the speed of up to 200 kilometres (125 miles) per hour, it can get you from Tokyo to Sapporo, Hokkaido in under eight hours.

"It's here!"

Komori and (Y/N) eagerly walked into the train and, after putting their stuff away, started searching for their seat.

"There you are! Sakusa!" Komori happily pointed out as Sakusa approached the two from behind.

"I should've just stayed home," Sakusa mumbled through his mask while closely inspecting the seats.

"But it's not every day you get to go to Hokkaido!" (Y/N) says, and spun her seat around until she got slightly dizzy. "Look! The seats can move!"

After spraying some kind of disinfectant and laying a cloth to prevent Sakusa from directly touching the seat, he took his seat in front of (Y/N) but spun it around so that it faced her.

"This is so cool! The train's starting to move!" Komori squashed his face against the window with (Y/N).

Sakusa grimaced at the two. They were spreading germs from the window onto their face, the horrors. He turned away from the two and pulled on a sleeping mask over his eyes. If possible, he was going to sleep the whole way there.

"Hey, hey, Komori, wanna play koi-koi?" (Y/N) took out a stack of hanafuda cards and placed them on the table in between Komori and herself.

"Sure thing!"

• • •

Sakusa jolted awake after hearing a scream tear through his sleep. He quietly groaned to himself before pulling down his sleeping mask.

"No! Not again!" (Y/N) threw the cards down on the table and ran her hands through her hair.

"Aha! I win again!" Komori smugly smirked and threw down his cards.

"Did you have to scream?" Sakusa grumbled out.

"Sorry, Kiyo."

"It's time for lunch!" Komori says after checking his phone and went to take out his bento box. Four hours had only passed since they left Tokyo, and it was now noon.

"Mmph, I challenge you to koi-koi!" (Y/N) pointed at Sakusa and harshly swallowed her food.

"Don't point, that's rude. Just finish your food first," Sakusa says, dismissing her invite to koi-koi.

After (Y/N) persistently asked Sakusa to play, he finally gave in. He had no clue how to play or what the rules were, so (Y/N) slowly explained to rules to him. She thought she could finally win a game of koi-koi, only to be easily beaten by Sakusa, who was new to the game.