13

28/02/2001
la Deli boulangerie, Kingswear, Devon
¬

[ c h a r m s   p t . 1 ]

"HELLO, GOOD TO SEE YOU ALL!"

Elinor and Ezme stopped picking on the extra Madeleines and turned to look at the guest.

This time, George was dressed casually in T-shirt and jeans, but he wore a striking, green scaly suit over it. Never a normal wardrobe day with that guy.

Ezme tilted her head, "Is that snake?"

"Er... No?"

"Crocodile?"

"...Sure," George said and Elinor guessed that the suit was made of magical being's skin. Was it dragon? "I forgot to ask the other day. When is lunch break?"

"You come just to ask that?" Cameron interjected, "Why didn't you just call?"

George blinked, unsure of what to say.

"Right, I'd like your number, too, please," Ezme said, taking out her soft pink flip phone.

"Later, E," Elinor said hurriedly, saving the day. She began taking off her apron, "Actually, he's taking me out to lunch. Ma, can I?"

"Elinor! Be back before one!" Etienne hollered from the kitchen.

Bielle nodded, "Whatever your father says."

"Okay, Papa! Love you!" Elinor yelled back. She pushed George out of the Deli before anyone could interrogate him again.

The air was still crisp, windy, and chilly that fine February day. Elinor wrapped her arms around herself and she realized that she had totally forgotten about her coat.

"Going to your house?" she asked.

"Yeah. We agreed on that, right?"

"We hadn't agreed on the date and time. Do you have a phone? And how are you off galavanting this time of day? Don't you have a job?"

"I'm a business owner, so I have the right to come and go whenever I please. And, no, I don't have a phone. Should I get one?"

Elinor sighed, "No, never mind. But we only have less than an hour."

She spotted the blue Ford Anglia squatting right in front of the Deli and sighed once more. The prospect of sitting in that car, despite having survived two trips in it, was still revolting.