22

03/04/2001
The Rousseau's Residence, Kingswear, Devon
¬

[ p r e g n a n t ]

Dear Papa,

I still have your WORLD'S GREATEST DAD T-shirt. If you want it back, you can take it now.

You are clearly the world's best father. You hug me randomly, out of nowhere, saying you love me. You prepare hot chocolate with two side biscuits every time I'm upset. You bake me three-tiers cake on my birthday. When you heard I want to meet the royals, you brought us to Buckingham Palace. You give me secret allowance behind Mama's back. You patiently teach me how to bake and make me the person I am today.

I heard you cuss George endlessly when I fainted, even though I've never heard you say offending words to anyone, even to that shameless beggar by the market who was disrespectful to us two years ago.

I am not your daughter by blood, but I don't know who can be a better father than you are.

You deserve that old shirt, and so much more.

☆★☆

08/04/2001
Hogsmeade Village, Highlands, Scotland
¬

"SO... IS THIS YOUR WAY OF TELLING ME THAT YOU'RE PREGNANT?"

Ellie's eyes widened and she sputtered out, "Wh— What?!"

"World's Greatest Dad," George read the writings aloud and put the washed, neatly folded T-shirt on the table, "Are you saying I'm the dad?"

"I'm not pregnant!" Elinor exclaimed, "And even if I am, how could you be the dad?"

"I blacked out the other night," George shrugged, "Maybe you did something something to me."

Elinor gaped.

"Unbelievable," she scoffed and stabbed her fork into the flesh of her Pancakes.

"You said you've been on worse dates. With who? That Peter guy?"

"No, he's actually better charmer than you."

George leaned back, theatrically showing that he was offended. "How is that even possible?"

"He just... knew the exact right ways to bring butterflies to a girl's stomach," Elinor said solemnly, "The worst one would be... Fourth year? Poe Wilkins. Because I caught him cheating with Romilda Vane that day."

"Romilda Vane..." George rubbed his chin thoughtfully, "Ah! She's our number one love potion customer. Ron was poisoned on his sixth year because of her."

"Ugh... What about you? Am I your worst date ever?"

"...No, I have to say Angie was worse than you."

"How come?"

"Once, she cancelled our dinner one minute after the promised time. I'm already in my tux, the candles are already lit, you know, I have a bouquet of roses in my hand. The restaurant owner looked at me leaving like I was the most pathetic person in the world."