33

28/04/2001
All over the place
¬

[ g o n e ]

"GEORGE! GEORGE, OH MY GOD, IS ELLIE THERE?"

Hearing the hysteric tone, George felt his heart stopped. He peered to his Muggle phone's screen and made sure that it was indeed Ms. cheeky and playful Ezme Rousseau.

"H— Hello? Ezme?"

"IS ELINOR WITH YOU?"

George's eyes widened as the full panic force began to seep under his skin. "Auntie? No, she's not. I'm at work. What happened?"

He was replied with incoherent wails and painful howls. It took another few seconds of rustles, something thudding, and static before Cameron held the phone. "Hello?!"

"Yes! Hello, what happened? What is it? Is something wrong? Where's Ellie?"

"Why didn't you come and visit these last two days?!"

"Huh?" George frowned, "I'm giving her some space. What's happening?"

"She's gone, Weasley."

Everything —his heart, his mind, the ruckus of children testing his joke stuffs, Verity yelling at Jill and Kara, the cha-ching of cashier, froze. His vision and hearing tunnelled. For a few seconds he forgot how to breathe. How to live, if Elinor was no longer alive along with him.

"Nobody knows how but she slipped out of the ICU last night."

George breathed out in relief. He sat down on the nearest cupboard, feeling close to tears. She's not dead... She's not dead...

"We told her about her surgery and when we left her to think, she just bolted. She left her wallet, her phone, her meds... We've been driving around town, hoping to find her, but we couldn't find her. And when we got home..." Cameron sighed, "Did you know she wrote letters?"

"Letters?" George echoed.

Cameron read,"Dear Cameron, I'm sorry you have to lie in front of Ezme and my parents. Mama's right, you can't lie. You suck. But I'm grateful to you for trying your best and for being in my life these last three years. I've always wanted to have a brother, you know. Please continue taking care of my foster family. You've done a great job so far. Don't you think this is, like, a good-bye letter? Or a suicide note?"

"She's still missing?"

George hurried onto his feet and ran to Verity, who had been kept busy by a pair of jumpy twins, a few feet away.