30

25/04/2001
Emergency Room, Newton Abbot Community Hospital, Devon
¬

[ v u l n e r a s a n e n t u r ]

[ v u l n e r a   s a n e n t u r ]

"WE'LL GIVE YOU TWO SOME TIME. DR. KAREV SAID HE'LL COME BACK WHEN THE O.R. IS READY."

George felt a sense of déjà vu washed over him as the Rousseaus closed the curtain to give him some privacy.

The last time he was here, Elinor was sitting on the bed with an annoyed look on her pretty face. Now...

Now it was too late. He had failed.

Instead of convincing her to believe in magic and go to St. Mungo's for help, he literally barked at her face and triggered the seizure. She wasn't dying of SAH. Heck, she wasn't even dying of stupidity. If anything, it was because of him.

He killed her.

If the super complicated and risky surgery ultimately took her life, it was his fault.

The fact finally hit him like a suckerpunch in the stomach: he wasn't prepared to let her go.

Nothing in this world mattered to him anymore. Not his emotion, his ego, his opinion, nor their stupid fight. He would trade anything to get her back. Anything.

"Ellie..." he called out, gripping her hand tightly in his, but she didn't even twitch. She only laid there, unmoving, serenaded by the constant beep that let him knew she was still alive. But just barely.

Her skin was so pale until the written scar seemed invisible against it.

His voice cracked, "Elle..."

She was so, so much more than just his best friend.

Lately, she had been everything.

She was everywhere, anytime, in every thought.

He never gave their time together a lot of thoughts, but now he just realized how precious those moments were. How much he loved her personality. How easy it was for him to spill his deepest, darkest feelings to her. How excited and emotional he became every time she told him the story of her mysterious life. She made it easier for him to sleep at night, to wake up with a purpose every morning. She even helped him mend his relationship with his family.

And he had to see her in her deathbed to realize his true feeling.

"Ellie..." he called out again and kissed her paper white knuckles.

He had been thinking about what she said last night, and this was it, wasn't it?

When she told him to imagine watching the war between life and death raging before him, but all he could do was helplessly watch from the sideline?