14

28/02/2001
The Burrow, Ottery St. Catchpole, Devon
¬

[ c h a r m s p t . 2 ]

"NICE HOUSE

"NICE HOUSE."

Elinor wrapped her arms around herself over her coat as she looked around. The wind had picked up more since noon and it was getting colder by the minute.

George's house looked as though it had once been a large pigpen itself, but extra rooms had been added here and there until it was stories high. Four or five chimneys were perched on top of the red roof.

A lopsided sign stuck in the ground near the entrance read, The Burrow.

Around the front door laid a jumble of rubber boots and a very rusty cauldron. Several fat brown chickens were pecking their way around the yard and the pigs went 'oink' in their pen just beside the house.

George sat down on the yard's grass, facing the hills before them, in a safe distance from the pigs' disgusting smell.

"Sit down here," he said, patting the lump of grass beside him.

"Why is your house called The Burrow?"

"It was something Dad whipped up when I was a kid. It means a place to retreat, a shelter, a... refuge," George shrugged, "But Fred had this theory that it's because my parents have too many children. You know how rabbits are."

Elinor laughed, hugging her knees to her chest, "How does it feel to have a lot of siblings? Ezme is already a handful to me, especially if combined with Cam."

"Never had a day of peace around here. They can be really loud if they want to. Most of us don't live here anymore," George casted a curt glance at his house, "Only Mum, Dad, and Percy do."

"Where do you live?"

"There's a room above my office. In London."

"In London?!" Elinor exclaimed, "Devon is a long way from London!"

"Eh, it's not," George shrugged nonchalantly. He merely Apparated here in one blink of an eye. "Anyway, about what I want to talk to you about..."

"What is it?"

"Do you trust me?"

Elinor blinked, "Uh... sure?"

"I need a yes or no answer, here." George opened his palm, "If it's a yes, take my hand."

Elinor peered at him like he was an alien. "I... met you two weeks ago."