Chapter 76

Hello everyone! I am still so shocked about how fast Shadows is growing. It is truly so crazy! I love you all so much🥺❤️ enjoy this chapter!
________________________________

"Clary..." I heard Alec's voice echo in my mind. I looked slowly towards him. We were still in the lake. Drifting  besides each other. He tried reaching for my hand as I did to his.

"CLARY!" He shouted now.

I gasped and opened my eyes. I was still underneath lake and when I looked down, Alec almost disappeared towards the bottom of the lake. I tried as much as I could to hold my breathe in and swam down to get to Alec.

As much down I would swim, the pressure of it would get higher which made it harder to breathe. I quickly got to Alec and grabbed his arm. I tried everything in my power to pull his body back up but it wasn't working. 

I was drowning with him. I didn't have the energy to pull him back. I had to let him go or die with him... I shook my head and closed my eyes. Come on Clary. I pulled him again with everything I had and luckily we were going up. 

When we reached to the top and finally felt the air in my lungs, I gasped out of breathe and looked at Alec who was still unconscious. I swam towards the end of the lake and I saw Izzy walking towards us. She helped Alec up on the ground and I helped myself.

I started to cough and looked over at Jace who was also still unconscious. Worry overwhelmed me and my wet hair was glued together to my face. I quickly crawled over to Jace and gently slapped him on his face.

"Jace." I said desperately. 

"Wake up." I said but he wasn't waking up. I looked up at Magnus who was looking defeated to the ground. He wasn't facing us. He wasn't even trying to look at us.

"Magnus." I called. He slowly looked at me with sadness in his eyes.

"Why isn't he waking up?" I asked but he stayed quiet. He didn't respond. It was as if he froze and couldn't do or say anything. 

"WHY ISN'T HE WAKING UP?!" I screamed and I felt my heart sank.

"H-He... He is dead." Magnus stammered as he looked at me. I shook my head in denial. I won't lose another because of Jonathan. I looked down at Jace.

His face was pale and his normal rosy lips were crusty and very light pink... It was as if the live was already sucked out of him. 

"Hey..." I said softly as I felt the tears burning my eyes. I stroked his wet hair and touched his cheeks.

"Please... Wake up. You can't leave me alone in this world." I said and I held tightly onto him. 

"Please Jace... Wake up. I need you." I cried softly and rested my head onto chest. I couldn't believe this. I refused to believe this because I can't... I can't lose him too. 

I lifted my head up and looked at Jace. 

"Wake up..." I said softly. I heard Alec cough and when I turned myself around, I saw him slowly gaining his consciousness. I smiled weakly before looking back to Jace. 

"Come on brother." I said as I held his hand. I held so tightly onto him and closed my eyes.

"Clary..." I heard Magnus say. When I opened my eyes, I looked at the shocked expression that he had on his face when he was looking down at Jace. Confused, I looked down at Jace and gasped when I saw another person laying down.

"T-This isn't Jace." I stammered in shock and I quickly let go of the unknown man's hand. Confused, I looked at him and then over at Magnus.

"Jonathan is playing with us... He wanted to make you believe that he killed Jace." Magnus said and I looked at the dead man. I was relieved that it wasn't Jace which made me feel like a horrible person.

Was I horrible for being happy that it wasn't Jace but someone else? I don't know... Maybe I was... But it made me happy knowing that Jace could be safe and well..

"He must have put an cloaking spell on him and when he died, it wore off." I heard Alec say and I turned myself around to him. I quickly walked over to him and kneeled down to him. He was sitting up while Izzy helped him up.

His brown wet hair was on his forehead and his entire face was still wet. I didn't say anything and just looked at him. I breathed out of relief and hugged him tightly. I could feel through our parabatai rune that he was relieved too...

"I thought that I was going to lose you today..." I said softly as I hugged him. I  felt Alec's massive arms covering my back as he pulled me tighter onto his wet chest. 

"You won't ever lose me." He said and I smiled softly. Somehow, I found comfort in his words. As if it was guarantee that he won't ever leave me... 

When I pulled out of the hug, I looked at him. Just because of this mission, I almost lost him twice and it was because he was trying to save me. I leaned my forehead to his and then kissed him softly on his lips.

I knew what I had to do when we brought Jace back to safety...

In order for me to not lose Alec, I had to let him go... I didn't wanted him to die for me no matter how much he loved me or how much I loved him. I couldn't let him do that... I couldn't lose him like that.

"What's wrong?" He asked. I smiled weakly as I shook my head.

"Nothing." I lied but I knew that he knew that I wasn't being honest but it didn't matter. All that mattered was that he was going to be safe... 

I stood up and looked at Izzy and Magnus.

"I know what Jonathan was trying to do today." I said softly and now looked at my boyfriend, Alec.

"He was trying to get you killed..." I said softly. Alec tightened his jaw out of anger because he knows now why I was so anxious. 

"He won't be able to." He answered. I shook my head.

"He never intended to hurt Jace. It was Alec along." I said and now looked at Magnus. 

"So that means that whatever Liz told us-" "She was aware that it was going to kill Alec." I answered and I got angrier.

I was going to kill her.