I'll Be There

Thayne POV 

“Thayne, I need you man.” My best friend and ally David said on the phone, he didn’t sound too good which had me worried.

“What’s going on? Are you alright man?” I asked as I sat down in the locker room, just getting done with a fight.

“My daddy died.” He said and I felt my body get chills and my heart breaking in two. His daddy had been through a lot, his whole family had. 

“Oh I am so sorry, I will be home on the next flight out. Just hang on, I’ll be there.” I could hear his muffled cries and he hung up. I looked up the next flight to America and booked it. 

I grabbed my bag and ran out of the building, leaving my boxing career behind for the moment. I was only fifteen minutes from my hotel room in the city of Paris so it didn’t take long to get there. I run up the stairs, not wanting to wait to get to my room. I open the door and leave it open, pack my stuff as fast as I could because the flight leaves in two hours and check in is a bitch. I make sure I have everything and shut the light off and run out of the room, shutting the door behind me and go back down the stairs and go to check out. 

“Thank you for staying with us, have a wonderful evening sir.” The man said to me and I nod and ran out of the hotel. I hail a cab and tell the driver I need to get to the airport. I make it inside barely managing to not run anyone over and get in line at the check in counter after I made it through security. 

Sixteen and a half hours later I am back in the US, not really wanting to be home for my best friend’s dad’s funeral who was like an uncle to me. His dad was the best person I had ever known, he basically raised me because well my family are a bunch of pathetic wolves who don’t care about anyone but themselves. I met David when I was thirteen running in the forest near his house, he was outside with his siblings and I knew they could smell me and it was a sight to see a whole bunch of wolves of different sizes and colors lined up around the backyard just waiting and watching for me to come out. After that, David and I were best friends. They were asking me a lot of questions, one mainly was why was I alone in a state where I wasn’t even from so I explained that I had ran away because of my home life and his daddy took it upon himself to take me in for a few weeks until he could go visit my family and find out what was going on. 

I lived with them for six years before I went off to box after I got signed. I would go home (to David’s) often when I had a break and he even came with me a couple times to see me fight in person. We did a lot together growing up, got into trouble a little bit here and there, had each other’s backs in school because even though he is an Alpha, people still picked on him who weren’t part of the pack and were human for having a family and home life he had. I knew it hurt him but he didn’t let it show, one of the things that makes him, him. He grew up with a lot of amazing men and women in his life who were there for him to show him the right way and I’m thankful I had them in my life as well. 

I get off the plane once it lands and go get my luggage and when I have it, I find my way outside and standing there in his “Pain is weakness leaving the body” t-shirt and camo hat was David. He looks so much like his daddy right now. We walked toward one another and I dropped my bags and wrapped my arms around him and hugged him tightly. 

“He’s gone Thayne, he’s gone.” He said in a heartbreaking tone and I felt my eyes sting. 

“I know, I’m so sorry.” I said and held him as he cried. He never cried over anything in the years I have known him but the death of his dad, he can’t stay strong and there is nothing wrong with that. 

“Come on, let’s get home.” I said when he calmed down a little bit. He grabbed a couple of my bags and I grabbed the other three and he led me to his truck and put my bags in the bed and we got in. I looked at the picture he had on the dash of his bootcamp graduation, his dad standing next to him with bright smiles on their faces, that day was one hell of a day. He drove in silence just listening to the songs they would listen to all the time at home or in the truck, the truck is his dad’s so I doubt he will ever remove that picture or change the stations or playlists for the music. I looked over at him and his face was soaked with tears and I reached over and held his hand that was on the seat beside his leg and he squeezed my hand and I felt my own tears wetting my cheeks as I thought about uncle Ethan and the life he lived, the love he showed everyone who meant anything to him, to his children he left behind, dying doing what he loved the most.