CHAPTER 18 : VOWS THAT BIND US

Ava Knight

Today was so much fun, all my frustration just vanished in the thin air but also it got me extremely tired and whole car ride I was feeling sleepy. However, I couldn't sleep. Not infront of him.

He pulled off the car infront of the penthouse. We got out of the car and walked in. A yawn escaped my mouth. I immediately lowered my head in embarrassment and speed walked towards my room.

After taking a quick shower, I went to my bed. It was 7:15 p.m.

"If I took pills now, then I won't wake up when Laura will call and without them I can't sleep. What do I do ?" I sighed and started working on my laptop.

______________
______________

Zach Knight

She must have taken shower by now. I thought and made my way to her door. Faint voices of screams were coming out of her room. I immediately ran and pushed open the door.

"No..no..no..leave me...leave me alone." She was screaming and squirming, her laptop fell on the floor. Tears were running down her face. She looked so vulnerable. Within seconds, I rushed by her side.

"Ava..Ava..wake up  " She didn't wake up. "Ava wake up." I said my voice louder this time and it worked she opened her eyes and instantly scooted away from me.

She brought her knees close to her chest and hid her face in between her arms.

"I didn't do anything. I didn't do anything." She mumbled repeatedly to herself. After shedding a few tears and taking few deep breaths. She wiped her remaining tears and looked up. Within seconds, her eyes widened but she immediately composed herself.

"I am sorry. I just had a bad dream." My blood boiled at her lie but I can't take out my frustration on her, it's not her fault that she doesn't want me to know. After all, I was the one who always judged her. I just nodded and she walked to the washroom.

At the same time, door bell rang and I went to open the door to reveal Laura .

"Good evening, son."

"Evening, Laura."

"You look tired."

"Eventful day." She nodded and walked to the kitchen. I sat on the couch and opened my phone, there were a few texts from her–the one who shouldn't be named. In one of her texts she wrote, "Sorry baby, I was drunk and it happened." Drunk ? My ass. She can get drunk every night and fuck any one she wants is all I care now. She saw my love now it's time for her to see my hatred.

But meanwhile I have much important things to do. Ava. She has a pretty name. I took a deep breath and walked to her room. I'll have to talk to her.

I peeked inside and found her reading her prescriptions. She looked deep in thought, I could here her sniffles.

"Ava." I called softly. She immediately put away her things and wiped her tears. She turned around and walked towards me.

"Yes, do you needed something ?" She asked. How could she act like nothing just happened ?

"I want answers ?" A frown took over her features.

"Wha..what are you talking about ?"

"Why were you screaming and crying in sleep ?"

"I told you it was a bad dream." I would have bought it if I wouldn't be knowing the truth. And right now, I was losing my calm.

"Don't lie to me, I know, it wasn't just bad dream. It was a nightmare." She stepped back, startled by my tone. I rubbed my face and tried to calm myself down.

"Ava, I know you have nightmares." she instantly averted her gaze and fixed it on her feet.

"How do you know ?" She whisper asked.

"That day when mom & dad came, while returning back to my room I found lamp of your room on. So, I walked in to switch it off but there I saw sleeping pills and some medicines prescribed by your psychiatrist. I fixed a meeting with her today and she told me about it."

She didn't say anything, so I continued.

"Ava, you don't have to tell me why this happens or anything else until you want to. However, after knowing that this is what you go through each night I can't let you stay alone. So, stay with me in my room. " As soon as those words left my mouth her head immediately shot up. She just kept staring at me and something reflected in her eyes...hurt.

"Thank you, but I'll be okay." She spoke and tried to walk past me. I pulled her back from her arms, not roughly though.

"How ? By taking those sleeping pills ?"

"Maybe." she whispered again. She sure was testing my patience.

"You are living with me, in my room and that's final." I stated.

"No, I said I'll be okay. If I will need any help, I will ask for it." She spoke softly yet determined.

"Why do you have to be so difficult ?"

"I am not being difficult, I just...I just don't understand why do you care, you wouldn't have ever, even said that if Lisa was here. And if you're doing this, cause you pity me, then it's the last thing I want." She whispered, her eyes glued to mine. After a moment of silence between us I spoke, "First thing , I certainly do not pity you and second thing even if she was here, I would have done the same thing, I loved her but that doesn't mean I would have left you to die." She just kept looking at me without saying anything.

"And she isn't here, anymore." I added.

"I don't want to trouble you." She finally spoke looking down at her feet.

"You won't." I spoke placing a kiss on her forehead, surprising both of us. She immediately backed off.

"I..I'll see you later. If you need something, I will be in my study." I said and scurried out to my study.

________

I myself was surprised by my actions. It happened in reflex. However I won't lie that it did feel good. But why would she react the way she did. For God sake it was just a forehead kiss. I thought and leaned back in my seat and that's when I realised the reason.

That day when I called Matt to find her connection to the farm, I also asked him to find other details. He then told me that along with her brothers, she funds whole orphanage also they fund various other NGO's without any publicity. He told me that the only relation she has with men apart from Reece, Ethan and now I is related to business.

And I disrespected every single time. I did it just to cause her pain and now all I feel is guilt. I exhaled a deep breath and tried to divert my mind and focus on work.

__________

I hope you liked this chapter

And if you did please let me know in the comments.