CHAPTER 20 : VOWS THAT BIND US

Zach Knight

I woke up to the sunlight making its way in the room. I was still sleepy. Last night I couldn't sleep...properly and as much as I want to, I can't sleep now. Getting up, I took a look around the room. She isn't here.

After doing my daily routine, I went outside, there she was in the kitchen with Laura. She was smiling to something Laura had said. Nobody could tell that she didn't sleep all night.

She woke up twice again yesterday night, thrice in all. And each time she woke up, it was hard for her to sleep again. I tried to make her feel safe and comfortable as much as I could do but it doesn't work in just a day.

I saw her eyes scanning the whole room until they landed on me. I walked towards her and she greeted me.

"Good morning " She spoke gently.

"Good morning " I said sitting on the chair. I rubbed my face when a yawn escaped my mouth.

"Didn't sleep well ?" Laura asked. I turned to see Ava, who was dishing my plate with a face full of guilt.
She brought the plate and kept it infront of me.

"Actually, I did, I was able to rest." I stated keeping my eyes on her. Her head instantly shot up and she looked at me as if I have grown two heads.
Yesterday night, I might not have been able to sleep but the fact that I was there when she needed me, helped my soul rest. It is cause of me she is facing all her problems again.

Anyways, Laura nodded and got back to her work while both of us were having our breakfast silently until her phone rang. She took a look and excused herself. Who is it so early in the morning ?

Few minutes later she came back with a huge smile on her face.

"Miller corporations is starting the construction today." She told us. Her voice was full of excitement. I wanted to ask the actual reason behind her excitement but I chose not to. She'll tell me herself if she will want to.

"That's a good news." I said with a small smile. She gave me another beautiful smile and returned back to eating her food and so did I.

At office

"No, Mr. Kinley until you make the changes I asked, we can't have that deal."

"Alright, you have your time, think over it." I said and cut the call. As soon kept my phone aside, a message popped up on my screen. I took a look at the time and instantly realised who it was,

"Please have your lunch on time."
: Ava

She had been sending me these texts every day since she came into my life. I never replied her. At first cause I didn't want to, then cause she-who shouldn't be named felt insecure.

"I will. And you too." I texted her back. Few minutes later my phone buzzed again.

😊👍
Ava

A smile graced on my features as I stood up and walked to eat lunch she sent for me.

This woman has my respect. Even after going through so much every night, every morning she has a beautiful smile on her face.

Later that evening

I unlocked the door and walked in, my eyes roamed around in order to find her but she was no where in sight. I walked towards her room and knocked but she wasn't even there. She always comes back before I do. Must be stuck with up some work. I thought and went towards my room. Just as I opened the door I found her standing by the wall, she was looking intently at the pictures more like at one of them, in which I was with my cousin sister.

"She was my sister." I spoke startling her. She immediately turned around and began rambling. "I am sorry, I came in without asking but you weren't here and yesterday I forgot my..."

"Shhh." My fingers instinctively reached her lips. And God ! were they soft ? Her eyes widened in surprise but she stopped.

"You can come here anytime. It's now your room too." I whispered moving close to her. She nodded and stepped back.

"You had a sister ?" She asked more like tried to change the topic anyways I played along.

"Cousin..but I loved her so much."

"Wh..where is she now ?" Why is she stuttering now ? I frowned in confusion.

"She died in fire, along with my uncle and aunt."

"We were so young when it happened and I was broken to hear that my baby sister is no more..no more with me."

"I'll..I'll make something to eat. " She said, her voice breaking at the end.

"Hey, are you okay ?" She looked up at me and gave me a smile though her eyes were moist.

"Yeah..yeah..I..am."
She said and walked past me.

"Zach." My name feels so damm good from her mouth.

"Yeah"

"She's is always with you..in your heart." She spoke and went out, while I just stood there.

____________

Why do you think she got upset ?

Please let me know if you like the story so far in the comments also vote , it really helps..