Step 1: Don't forget who you were.

Life as a college student is great so far. I haven't slept in ages and I can't read what's what on my assignment anymore. 

"You done yet?" Missy asked, dropping into the library chair next to me. 

We share assignments and do half of the work, then exchange info. Missy's great, so she did her part and gave me a copy, but I've yet to finish. 

"No...I'm dying..." 

"Hang in there." 

So helpful. 

*****

"Hey, have you gotten started on the Naruto anime I've been telling you about?" Missy continued. 

"Yes, despite all the homework I'm definitely supposed to be doing, yes, yes I have."

"What episode are you on?"

"For Naruto? Oh, I just finished the 4th great ninja war. I also finished watching all the movies and now I'm a husk of a human."

"Uh, yeah. Of course, it would drain you! It's got so many episodes! I was expecting you to take a couple more months to even finish!" She asked. 

"Ha ha. Yeah, I haven't slept well," I said sagely. 

Missy stared at me in disappointment. 

"I'm joking."

"Are you?" 

I paused. 

"No. Maybe." 

*****

"And done." I pushed the laptop away from me in pain. 

"Great, I'll send me a copy," Missy leaned over to pull my laptop towards herself. "Email...me....and awesome, see you tomorrow in class. My sis made scones, so I'll bring them over to you." 

"Sounds great." I smile tiredly at her. 

She stared at me. "Get some rest. You'll need it." Then she left. 

Ping!

I groaned in annoyance as the email popped up. 

Another email about next week's reading assignments. I definitely won't need to sleep tonight.

I sighed. But first, the bathroom. 

I glanced around to see if there was anyone in the vicinity who would rob my stuff and went to the washroom. I locked myself in a toilet stall and rested my forehead against the door. 

Alright, I need to email back my advisor for my next semester of classes, fill in that summer course registration form, finish and print the reading assignment, get started on said readings because I have a lot, and I have a meeting tonight at seven. Okay, I can do this.

"I'm fine. It's fine. It's all fine," I tried to whisper encouragingly to myself. No such luck. 

Then after using the washroom, I made my way back upstairs.

"Outta the way!" A tall, bulky student was running down the stairs. He swerved heavily, and soon he was on the same staircase section I was on. 

"Woah--Dude, watch it!" I tried to sidestep, like the kind you've seen in cool anime, but I was too slow. The guy rushing down the stairs swung his hand and sharply shoved me to the side.

"Move it!"

In seconds, I was thrown backward and airborne for a split second before the cruel harsh ground came in contact with my back and head.

"He--!"

*****

I stared at my corpse being packaged and put in a coffin. Then a quick ceremony, and now it was just my ghostly self. 

"Wait, I just died? How? Death by impact?"

No one answered me. 

"How is this fair? Why?" I seethed, ready to throw a tantrum. 

And then the world flashed white. 

"Oh good."