Step 26: You might become a casualty

"Sensei." 

In my panic and shock, I stumbled off the narrow prison cot. Then smashed my head straight into the wall. 

"Aww, thi' hur's...." I moaned in pain while twisted in an uncomfortable heap on the floor. 

"Sensei!" 

"Ugh, Naruto! You scared her!"

"Sensei? You're in good hands now. Why? Because we're here."

"Hn." 

"S-s-sensei, are you ok-kay?" 

"Hel'p," I eloquently mumbled. "I...in pain..." 

"Come on, let's help her up." 

*****

Through a haze of actions, I found myself leaning against the wall, while Shino and Sakura support me as we walk through the halls of the prison. 

Apparently, the kids just walked in and after some digging, figured out where I was and broke the door open via brute force.

As for the alarms for this maximum security prison? 

"Don't worry! We turned that off!"

"Heheheh! It's all thanks for my apple juice!" Naruto proudly informed me. 

"...huh?"

"Naruto spilled juice on the consoles while we were looking for you, and Sasuke fried the board. Why? Because juice has water content and water is an excellent conductor of electricity." 

"...what?" 

*****

Unfortunately for us, we don't know the layout of the prison well. So the kids and I walked in circles and loops for what felt like hours. 

"Hinata, you still can't use your Byakugan?" Shino asked his teammate. She shook her head as she leaned on her crutches. 

"S-s-still in re-re-recov-very. H-hurts a l-lot." 

"Darn. We need to find another way out," Sakura muttered. 

"Was it this way?" Naruto asked out loud crossing his arms in front of two hallways. "Maybe it was...left? No, wait...right?" 

"Well, this isn't a bad situation," Shino brightened. "We can find some information on the ANBU and find my brother." 

I glared at the middle schooler. "Are you sure we're gonna find ANBU folks in a maximum security prison? Are you sure we're not just gonna find, I don't know, more prisoners?" 

"Actually, according to my research, some of the ANBU dorms are connected directly to this prison," Sakura pipped up. "So we might be able to find Shino's brother or some information on him." 

"Yes, my instincts tell me that Torune has been here before." Whatever you say, Shino. And don't nod your head in agreement, Hinata!  

"...Okay, let's trust your instincts, where do you wanna look? These just look like tons of cells to me. It's a total maze here."

"Hmm, let me think for a bit." 

Take your time bud, we will just chill like some very vulnerable sitting ducks. 

*****

"I've got it." 

I warily looked at Shino. "I'm afraid to ask exactly what is the 'it' that apparently 'you've got.'" 

"We can just open every door." 

"...Can I reject this decision?" 

"Well, do you have a better plan?" The kids turned to look at me expectantly. 

"...Fair point. I don't. Guess we're opening every door." 

*****

So the kids and I started opening up the different rooms. It's a weird amalgamation of empty cells and office rooms with some untouched paperwork. 

Whoever designed this prison was high, drunk, or very distracted. Maybe all three. 

I trailed behind Hinata and Sasuke. We were dubbed as the "Most Injured" so we got clumped together. Sasuke still has heavy bandaging, Hinata's on crutches, and I just bashed my head. The other kids went as another group. 

While I halfheartedly kept watch outside of the rooms, Hinata and Sasuke got to work trying to figure out some of the paperwork and files. 

Then suddenly, Hinata gasped loudly. I shot my head into the room from the doorway. 

"Is everything okay? Did you pull a muscle or stitch?" I peered into the dim lighted room. 

"N-no, but I f-found your f-file. T-there's someth-thing s-str-range." 

She hobbled over to me at the doorway and handed me a thick file. 

Curious, I opened the file. 

"....Huh?" 

*****

I stared at the first page uncomprehendingly. 

Since day one, Team C has unsuccessfully killed Prisoner XX. Killed the prisoner 3 different times during routine interrogation. Each time, the prisoner comes back to life and has no recollection of the death. Suspect must be further studied. Rec. the Labratory to take Prisoner XX. 

"Check the date." Sasuke said suddenly. 

I hesitantly scanned the page and looked for the date. 

"The day I was admitted as a 'civie'?"