Step 9: Take side quests

Hatake and Lord Third were out of my house. Thankfully. I wasn't sure the floor was going to hold any longer if they had stayed. 

Hatake is probably off to check the validity of claims. And Lord Third is...doing whatever he needs to be doing. I went back to the Academy to continue my work as a "career counselor."

"Sensei, I heard that you are close with the Hokage," Sakura commented in our following meeting. 

I stared at her. 

"Uh, no. I'm not close with that scheming goat of a Hokage. We are not buddy-buddy, we're not close." 

"Oh. I thought that you were given this position because of him though." 

"That's because he threatened me." 

"Lord Third wouldn't do that! And, even if he did, I'm sure he has good reasons!" Sakura defended. 

Oh, you sweet summer child. Truly, a picture of childhood innocence when you still believe in fairytale romance and the government. 

"If you say so. But enough about me. Let's talk about you now." 

"Hai Sensei." 

*****

Much to my disappointment, Hatake decided to openly stalk and spy on me. He didn't even bother hiding his suspicions and trailed after me wherever I went. I ended up trying to linger at school as long as I could before I had to head home. 

Hinata (I finally got her family's permission for 1-on-1 meetings) noticed Hatake's blatant stalking behavior during one of our meetings. 

"Um, S-Sens-sei, th-there's s-someone f-following you f-for a while now." She pointed out the window. 

I turned my head slowly until I saw Hatake sitting in a tree with a book. He's not even trying to hide. 

"Yeah, that's an invasive nightmare." 

"An-n inv-vasive n-nightmare?" she repeated. "Why is-s--" 

"But don't mind it! How are your studies going?" 

**********

Sakura and Naruto never fully caught on, but they did comment that they felt like they were being watched.

And in response, I said, "Really? Then you're probably right." 

***** 

Sasuke was next. 

The second he walked into the classroom for our meeting, he stopped and stared out the window.

I looked up at him in confusion from the desk. "What's wrong?" 

"Spy." 

I followed his line of sight and sighed.

In this classroom (different from Hinata's meeting), Hatake was across the courtyard and sitting at the window with his book. 

"That's just a grim reaper, Sasuke."

Sasuke still didn't move from his spot in front of the door. 

I turned back to him. "Do you want to have a seat? Or maybe there's a different classroom if you feel more comfortable." 

He didn't respond. So I walked over to him and bent down to meet eye level. 

"Breathe in, breathe out." 

We found another classroom. 

Hatake still was hanging around nearby. 

*****

I stopped by Yamato/Tenzo's workshop. The materials had arrived, but there weren't enough people to help repair my house. 

"I'm really sorry about this," Yamato/Tenzo apologized. "Things have been pushing back our original plan a lot." 

"No worries." It's probably because you're also working as an ANBU. 

"Is it okay if we deliver the rest of the materials to your place first?" 

"Sure, that's fine." 

*****

The following morning, I had the day off, so I did some more yard cleanup. I don't have a lawnmower or whatever people use to maintain grass, so I've been using scissors. 

I mean, scissors cut things. Like grass. 

Later, the materials for the house were at my door. Since the workers were also super busy, the materials for the house came as a giant mess. 

I stared at the giant cans (is it paint? Cement?) lying on the side in a heap. The lumber's not even stacked, the boards are just thrown randomly over the fence. The bamboo is all snapped off at weird points. The stones surprisingly were stacked on a palette, but then unceremoniously shoved in front of my door.  

And then as the final hooray to this project, I watched in real-time one of the workers throw a massive tool kit over the fence before running off like a hit-and-run. 

Unfortunately, the worn plastic tool kit smashed straight into the stones, and now, the tools shower all over the yard. Great. 

Is Yamato/Tenzo running a homeless aesthetic? Because if so, I need to cancel this whole thing. It's better to be homeless on your own accord than pay someone else to provide the...experience.  

I can't really see my own yard anymore. At least they didn't completely block the front door. Otherwise, I would need to climb through the broken window to get to work. I just have to squeeze past the stones and then...I guess I don't need to lock the door anymore. 

I stared at the mess again. There's even a Sasuke standing next to it. 

Wait a minute. 

"What are you doing here?" 

"Spy." 

Oh yeah, Hatake. Almost forgot about him. 

I glanced around. "Is he at least pretending to be more discreet--Ah, nope." 

Hatake was leaning against the tree just a little ways from my house. 

"Just ignore the grim reaper, Sasuke. I've got a bigger problem to worry about now. I gotta somehow get this somewhat organized so at least the neighbors won't think I'm going for Homeless Tornado Chic. 

Better just move stuff so I can at least see the ground. I'd rather not accidentally step on nails and other pointy things. 

"Did you need something other than tell me there's a tumor over there?" 

Without reply, the boy left. 

"Guess not..." 

*****

"Yo, you there." 

I looked at the pug in my very empty, broken house. Pakkun. 

"No." 

Pakkun continued unbothered. "Boss has some questions for you." Then he disappeared. 

This is all Lord Third's fault.