Step 14: Consider a new field of study

Equilibrium is back!

The clown's gone, the kids are with the clown, I only meet with one kid bi-weekly, and Shino finally stopped invading at random hours of the night. 

Truly, a blissful moment to be alone--

Knock, knock! 

I whimpered. 

*****

"We're back!" Naruto and Sakura cheered. 

"Oh. Welcome back--" 

"This place looks better than before!" Naruto exclaimed, barging in. "It still looks tiny!" 

"Naruto! You can't just say that!" Sakura scolded and turning to me, apologetically on his behalf. "Sorry about that Sensei. I think your home looks cozy." 

"Thank you, Naruto, Sakura. But where's Sasuke?" 

"He's right--huh? He was there a second ago." 

I heard a noise coming from the backyard. "Ah never mind. I think I know where he is." 

"Sasuke?!" Naruto shouted behind me. 

But Sasuke apparently was in an I'm-Not-Talking mood. The second I opened the door, he was in my yard holding a short sickle to trim the grass. 

"Hello to you too, sir," I scowled at his back. "Well, never mind. How was the mission?"

"It was all good! I took care of it of course!" 

"Ugh, he means we all did our best and worked hard." 

"Great job then! Do you wanna come inside and rest? You must have returned just now..." 

"Hai!" 

*****

"You have a full house, don't you?" Hatake remarked, coming in unannounced.

The kids were napping on my couch (I got it built in time!) after having tea with snacks. Naruto was on one end, and Sakura slumped over the armrest. 

On the other side of the crate-coffee table, Sasuke had finally come back in and sat at the crate-coffee table slowly dozing off with one hand propping his head up.  

"Behold, the clown's back." 

Hatake chuckled, stepping over the stone path to my front door. "Your collection of memories or so-called 'truths' is altered or flawed." 

I rolled my eyes. Here we go again...

"Your memories show that we would be sent on a mission above their rank level. But that didn't happen. After all, why would we knowingly send Genin on a mission they are ill-prepared for?"

I frowned. 

But he was right. Now that the intelligence and information units have my memories and information of the future, why wouldn't they prepare for it accordingly?

Well, I guess they're just trying to cover their bases. Make sure that if my memories played out as is, then they were prepared for it. 

"So then where did you guys go?" I asked curiosity piqued. 

Hatake merely gave me a look, sending the barest signal of politeness. "You don't have the clearance to know of a mission outside of Konoha. Who knows if you'll use that information against us." 

I crossed my arms unimpressed. "And I already know the future which you still have yet to acknowledge. What's a little change in the course of direction?" 

Hatake perked up and drawled, "It's of great concern that you are a spy from another village--" 

"I'm a civie!" I snapped. "I'm not a spy. You all have my memories, including my personal history where I was last seen in a school setting, learning foreign languages."

"Learning foreign languages can be a cover-up of important intel." He spoke as though I were a petulant child. "As for your civilian identity, it would make more sense to pick a less alarming person to slip into the village with minimal trouble." 

"That's because--"

"And, for all we know, you could have been brain-washed with new memories implanted to let our guard down even more." 

"Okay, shut up!" 

"In other words," Hatake smirked, enunciating every word like a joke, "after our successful return proving your claims are false, you need to prove that you're not a spy." 

"I trust Serena Sensei." 

This unexpected interruption stopped us both. 

Sakura repeated, "I trust Serena Sensei. She's always done her best for us and always asks how we're doing. She genuinely cares for us!" 

I was touched. 

Hatake was not. 

"Sakura, we don't have any evidence to suggest that she is telling the truth," he began, but he was ignored. 

Sakura "We went to the Land of Waves to observe and protect the ongoing attempts to find a new leader with the death of Gato." 

"Wait, Sakura--"

"It was a successful mission. During our stay, we were given opportunities to perform hands-on training such as caring and defending. We were also able to observe the unique predicaments the people faced with the lack of a leader and the vulnerability of trade. While the location was under-protected, we fought with plenty of support. We did not feel like we lacked any training to complete this mission. We came back earlier today and then came to see you." 

"Ah...is that so. Thank you for telling me, Sakura," I said, taken back. 

"Of course! Anything for you, Sensei!" She beamed proudly. 

Behind her, Sasuke grunted in agreement (guess he woke up). Naruto snored on the couch. 

The bubble of heat in me popped, and I deflated a little. When I turned back to Hatake, he himself looked surprised by the sudden twist of events. 

A split second later, however, he resumed his nonchalant facade. 

"Hatake." 

"Hmm?" 

"Get out."