Step 12: Protect the lonely.

Knock, knock. 

"Who's there?" 

"Um, it's Hyuga...Hinata, Sensei," a quiet voice answered. 

So while three out of four of my students were out in the wild somewhere with a crazy clown (Hatake), I got to spend some more time with Hinata. 

I opened the door to look down at the tiny girl in her fluffy parka. "Hey there, come on in." 

Normally, I meet the students individually at the Academy in one of the spare classrooms. But since my house started looking better (thanks to Yamato/Tenzo's totally discreet building company), I offered to host meetings at home for student privacy. 

After inviting her to sit down and join me with tea and crackers, we both fell quiet. 

"Alrighty, let's get started," I began, leaning back in my chair. 

Curious, almost expectantly, Hinata lifted her gaze to look at me. 

"How was your past two weeks?" 

Hinata stutteringly recounted her past two-week events, detailing a bit of her clan and her insecurities about being weak. This sweet girl was nearly in tears by the end. 

"Hinata, Let me tell you something super important." 

"H-Hai S-Sensei," she warbled. 

"Clans are stupid."

"...eh?" 

When I talk with Naruto, most of it is asking him for more detailed questions on how to become Hokage. He generally has the idea, but not much else to get to that goal. I usually draw him a diagram (and follow the original plotline) to show him what he should focus on. 

Sakura, I have her look at both offense and defense roles. Since she's Tsunade's future prodigy, she is skilled in both brute strength and healing, making her perfect to look at when to be on the offense and when to be on the defense. 

Sasuke needs both the truth behind his family and the village elders and also a way to help process all of that. At the moment, we've moved outdoors for him to physically exhaust his rage, but I'm hoping to gear him toward less violent and aggressive activities. 

All in good progress. 

With Hinata, we talk about her family's flaky expectations and trying to build self-confidence in herself. She's super op endgame, but like any kid, she also needs a supportive environment that has faith in her and her growth. 

"Clans are stupid!" I repeated, putting my cup down. 

Hinata fidgeted, not sure how to respond to my statement.

"Let me get this straight. Your clan's bright idea is to train you from birth to become the successor of the clan. Except, when your sister Hanabi shows more 'potential',-- whatever that means -- they basically tell you that you're a lost cause. Am I right?" 

Hinata looked back at me, eyes wide for a moment before lowering her gaze. "...Yes, S-Sensei. That's...r-right. I'm a f-failure and t-too weak and t-too--" 

"Hinata." 

Her eyes met mine again. 

"...S-Sensei?" 

"Do you know what you are good at?" 

Hinata squirmed in her chair, looking rather uncomfortable but curious as well. 

"No, S-Sensei." 

"You are persistent and resilient. No matter how many times someone knocks you down, you get back right up. You're stronger--stronger than you think. Besides, your clan has a very skewed sense of judgment; they're idiots. 

"I promise you, you are not weak." 

Hinata covered her face, her shoulders shaking, so I crouched next to her, resting my hand on her shoulder. 

"You are strong, so get back up and prove to them that you are so much more than their expectations. You are strong, you are powerful. Alright?" 

"Hai, S-Sensei..." she sniffed. 

Atta girl. 

*****

Right now, I'm on vacation~! 

The psychotic clown's outta town, three of my four students are with said clown, and I only had to see Hinata bi-weekly. The Hokage and his hoard of ANBU haven't bugged me at all this week, so it's a win for me!

Which is why I was very surprised to see two tiny middle-schoolers at my front door. 

"S-Sensei, th-this is my n-n-new t-teammate Sh-Shino." 

"Hello, Serena Sensei. I need your help."