Step 11: Be yourself

All the kids still got shuffled into the same teams. That's nice for me since I still am their career counselor. I only have to visit Hinata on the other team, and hang around Team Seven. 

"Right! I have something important for you to remember," I exclaimed, while Hatake was who-knows-where. 

"What is it, Sensei?" Sakura asked curiously. 

I beamed. "Rule number one. Hatake Sensei is an idiot." 

*****

The first phase of being a Genin: the stupid bell test. 

Hatake did his little villain act, threatened the kids, and gave them a second chance to redeem themselves. Then they passed with the power of bluffing through the skin of their teeth. 

I could not roll my eyes any harder at Hatake. 

"Alright kids, time to learn about teamwork from a guy who doesn't have a team anymore." 

"I'd doubt you'd do any better, Meela," He shot back. "Besides, this is a tradition passed down if you know everything." 

I scoffed. "I do. I also know that this tradition didn't keep any of your teammates or teacher alive anymore." 

"Those are two different things. Let's get something clear. I am their teacher. They are my students now. You have no say in how and what I teach," he said firmly.

"Let's get something clear. I am their career counselor. They are still under my guidance. And you have no idea how and what to teach," I sneered. 

"You're on thin ice. I'd watch where you step." He threatened. "Between the two of us, I'm the one who has the most experience on the field and the most capable to teach them. You? You're a nobody trying to assert into a place where you don't belong." 

"Lord Third already made that threat. But if you think you're a good teacher based solely on the fact that you have field experience, then please, be my guest. Prove me wrong." 

*****

Unfortunately for me, it was soon for the Land of Waves arc to happen. That meant Hatake and the kids would be out of town (and away from my influence). 

"Serena Sensei!" Sakura called to me excitedly. "We're going to go on a mission!" 

"Congrats," I exclaimed. "Tell me all about it when you guys get back, huh?" 

"Absolutely! This is our first time doing a mission outside too." 

"And what an experience that'll be to tell."

*****

"Okay, so have you gone to the Land of Waves yet?" I asked, looking down at the middle-schooler-sized ninja.

"Uh...where?" Naruto asked

"Great! Excellent! Couldn't be happier for you! It's going to be a whole cartload of fun and trauma."

"Huh? What are you talking abou--"

"Andandand, you'll be scared out of your mind because it's a not-your-appropriate-rank mission, so...uh yeah! Have fun, stay safe, although I'm not sure how safe you can be. Don't die, and you're a great dude."

Naruto stared at me like his brain wheels and cogs were slowly catching up to what I just said.

I stared back at him and grinned not-so-manically. "You'll be a great Hokage who will one day change the lives of many and be the best at handling Elders."

"...Ah, thanks?"

"No problem!"

Then, when his brain landed on my last compliment, he beamed right back at me and cheered, "Heh heh! You got it!" 

I give him an all-teeth smile. "Alright, see you around! And don't let the inside guy take over," I encouraged, while we parted ways.

"The who?"

"You'll meet him soon! Say hi to Kurama for me!"

I paused mid-wave.

"Or don't! I've never met the guy!"