Step 4: Never give in.

"Hey, get up," a guard called out to me, unlocking my prison door. "You're being summoned." 

I guess that grace period of silence was over, huh? 

"Ah...okay." 

The guard who had opened my door escorted me out of the hall where two ANBU waited for me. They didn't grab my arms like a criminal, but they took the book from the guard and sandwiched me between them as we walked. 

I was taken out of the prison and straight into the blazing sunlight. Only to then get escorted to the Hokage building. 

Or whatever the official name is for the building for the tyrannical-elders-of-Konoha. 

Upon entering the Hokage office, only Lord Third was there. The two ANBU ushered me in.

"Meela Serena," Lord Third said, gesturing to the empty chair in front of him. "Have a seat."

"Oh...okay. Thanks." I mechanically sat down and stared at him. 

Then, "So you're the civilian that appeared with seemingly...otherwordly knowledge." 

"Yup." 

"And from what I understand, you have no way of returning home." 

"Yup." 

"Now then, we need to decide what to do with you." 

"...yup." 

Lord Third puffs his pipe and looks behind me. "Tiger, Boar, leave us." 

I glanced back to see both ANBU gone.

"You have quite the extensive knowledge of this world," he continued, bringing my attention back. "And...incriminating knowledge of everyone." 

"Yup." 

He sat back, regarding me. "What is your purpose?" 

"...I was going to graduate from school with good grades..." 

He regarded me for a moment. "Perhaps I should be more clear. Where does your loyalty lie? In Konoha or elsewhere?" 

"...Konoha. It at least has some social structure to it." And nice landscapes and friendly people. 

He hummed thoughtfully. 

"Alright then. Let's do this," he began. "For the safety of the village, your knowledge is going to aid us in taking down those who pose a threat to the village." 

And then suddenly, I remembered why I didn't really like this guy. 

"Then," he continued, "if all is well, I will ensure your livelihood here in Konoha as a civilian. You can be part of Konoha and work with its people to make a new life of your own. You only have to cooperate with us for the sake of Konoha." 

I don't want to work with this guy. He definitely sees me as a meat shield for Konoha. 

"I need to think about it." 

He was silent for a moment as he stared at me. 

"I don't think you truly understand your situation here. If you refuse, then we would have to...eliminate you." 

"Okay okay, never mind, I got it. Loyal citizen of Konoha." 

"I'm glad you see reason." 

*****

So the fun little additions to my life in Konoha that I was basically threatened to agree with weren't all too bad. I got my own place, a job that I haven't been informed of yet, and constant surveillance. I guess it's to stop me from escaping. 

The little worn house I got had a small fenced-in yard. The floors were damaged and broken, the walls stained in unknown substances, and the roof was not leak-proof, but the utilities worked well enough. The house was definitely in bad shape, and the grass was well overgrown, but the little cottagecore girl me was so happy, so that's a positive. 

I don't have a choice, so let's hope the job I get is one I won't hate. 

And the people who are to keep 24/7 in their sights aren't visible. I couldn't even feel like I was being watched. Ah well, this is just their version of hackers watching you through your phone or laptop camera; super invasive and surprisingly discreet. 

So, not too bad of a start. Let's hope I can somehow repair the house before bad weather breaks it. I'd rather not start my new life as an official homeless bench sleeper. 

*****

I didn't sleep at all in my new house. There wasn't any furniture or even proper insulation in the walls. It looked more like an upgraded shack that then went through several natural and human disasters. 

"From Lord Hokage," the ANBU stated. 

Was the first thing said to my sleep-deprived face. I took the folder from the ANBU slowly, and in the next second, they disappeared. 

"Oh good," I sighed, opening the folder. 

Meela Serena, 

You are to report to the Academy building promptly. 

Some official, probably

Well, this is a fantastic start to my day.

*****

The walk to the Academy wasn't too bad. 

Or maybe I was just half-sleeping as I walked, just dipping in and out of consciousness. I couldn't tell, but whatever. I got to my "designated location." 

I went in and stared blankly at the front desk. I didn't even bother looking at the human behind the desk. I bore holes into the wooden frame and said, "Meela Serena is here." 

"Oh, so you're the new teacher?"

My eyes slowly rolled to see the person, then lit up upon recognition.