Step 16: Build more friendships

Despite having a copy of my memories with vivid details of destruction and infiltration, the Chunin Exams went as planned with the exact same precautions and lack of safety measures. 

I am amazed at their preparations. Unlike the Land of Waves mission where they apparently took precautions, they took that caution and then threw it away. 

"They're tempting fate," Hinata said hollowly, the words rolling off her tongue without a stutter as if she had learned them by heart. Or if she had heard it frequently. 

Shino nodded in agreement. 

"If they know full well what the future is going to bring, and yet they continue on the same course of action, are they not merely checking to see if the same story will repeat itself?" Shino said. 

"This is going to end badly, I can feel it in my soul." 

"Th-that's...no-tt your...um, f-fault," Hinata consoled me. "You d-did your b-bes-st." 

Shino nodded again. "It's their choice to make, but not your responsibility that they responded this way." 

I smiled at them. "Thanks, I feel a lot better." 

"Anyth-th-thing to help!" Hinata exclaimed brightly, her soft expression beaming back at me. 

Shino nodded once more. "Why? Because you have been supportive of our goals." 

"Awww! You guys are cute!" 

*****

The day of the first exams arrived, which meant Ibiki's three-ring circus arrived.  

The fun part about this exam is that I get to be a test taker too, yay

Ibiki didn't even bother digusing me. I was shoved into the waiting room with other genin. 

Don't worry, my students all recognized me instantly. 

"Sensei? What are you doing here?" Sakura asked in a hushed tone.

"Don't worry about it." 

"S-Sens-sei? Are y-you here t-to t-take the exams-s?

"Against my will, Hinata." 

"Sensei, are you taking the exams to also be a Chunin?" 

"Unfortunately, Shino." 

I just got a blank stare from Sasuke. 

"..."

"Breathe in, breathe out, and good luck."  

"You're here too!!" Naruto yelled. 

"Yup."  

"Awesome! You get to see how I'm gonna be a Chunin!" 

"You betcha." 

*****

So after we all got settled into our designated seats, Ibiki went up and did his Ted Talk. He even pointed me out to everyone. 

"I have an honorable mention to our oldest applicant, Meela Serena!" 

I groaned as loudly as I could. 

"Heh, let's hope you can keep up, Meela. You have a very knowledgeable background."

While I was dying on the inside, Ibiki laid some ground rules like cheating, no cheating, don't get caught cheating, cheating is not allowed, cheating means disqualified, cheating is bad, cheating is wrong, and so on and so forth. 

Ibiki and his lackeys started the exam. Me? I'm the answer bank the Genin around me are supposed to steal from. There are two other answer banks around the room. 

We all witnessed Genin teams get kicked out one after another for "getting caught." Everyone else behaved and got answers through their skills. 

So after a few hours of reliving the whole SAT experience, Ibiki ended the exam. 

Then, he did his whole song and dance, showed his scars, and tried scaring them off. 

And Naruto put an end to that by solidifying his decision to pass no matter what. 

"You pass this phase of the exam!" Ibiki declared to a room of stunned kids. 

The room was silent. 

"So let me get this straight. We took a written paper test for several hours, only to find out that the REAL exam is to convince you that we are ready to be Chunin. JUST INTERVIEW US."

Ibiki ignored me. 

"We also had put three people who did know the answers and were posing as test applicants," he continued, pointing us all out. 

"Against my will!" 

*****

Fortunately, Ibiki's madhouse was over. So all the kids left to continue the second phase with Anko. 

And if I thought phase one was bad enough, phase two was even worse. 

Anko was explaining the rules of the second phase. I was given two scrolls unlike everyone else because Anko made me part of this wonderful exam. 

And that's when Anko made her announcement about my role. 

"By the way! We have our very own resident civie here!" Anko exclaimed theatrically pointing to me. "You cannot talk or communicate with her in any way. You cannot kill her. Got it? If you want either of the scrolls, you gotta figure out a way to get them from her!" 

Murmurs answered her in response. 

"...wow, I sure am excited to not get killed..." 

"Right, and the second phase begins...NOW!"