19

Hey, it's me. Hayley.
I sent the text quickly to the only number saved on the burner phone, Caydens.

It was probably more of a surprise to me that I actually used the phone than I'm sure it was for Cayden who I yelled at and told not to talk to me basically. But since then I've calmed down and realized something.

Last night; Hunter could have killed me. And no one would have cared or bothered to ask, "Hey what happened to Hayley?"
And that thought terrified me more than Hunters rage. Being here in this world and gone and not even remembered. How sad.

So I decided to text Cayden. And I knew if I suddenly went missing he'd be the only one asking the right questions and pressing for the right answers.

:) hey. Sorry about today; you were right. I was out of line. How are you doing?

Fine. Hey I want to know more. About your mom. About being half wolf.

I sent the text to Cayden as my heart slammed in my chest.

Hearing footsteps, I quickly held down the end call button to shut off the phone, before placing the cellphone inside of the book I carved out to hide the phone. Placing the book back on my bookshelf.

The door opened behind me and I grabbed a completely different book before turning around.

"What are you doing?" Hunger sneered. "I have friends over, why aren't you down stairs?"

"Oh, um this book is apart of my school assignment, I have to do an essay tomorrow on it," I visibly shook as he started stalking towards me. Flinching as he snatched it from my hands. I could smell the stench of alcohol coming from his breath as he tossed it across the room.

"Then get the fucking cliff notes tomorrow morning you dumb bitch," he grabbed the end of my shirt and tore it off. "And change into something better you look like shit," he tossed my shirt over his shoulder as he walked away. "Be down stairs in five minute."

With that, he was gone. Leaving me to look at the oversized mirror in the room, seeing the map of abuse all over my chest and stomach and arms. The bruises looked like a work of art, blue, purple, yellow and black. The white and pink and angry red cuts and scars married into them.

Sighing in relief at not being caught with the phone, everything in me wanted to check to see if Cayden wrote back, but knowing I wouldn't have time.

So, I dug out a Saint Laurent long sleeved, white ruffled blouse and leather skirt with black stockings underneath, before slipping on a pair of flat red bottoms.

Hunter and a few of his close friends were in the living room, each had a red solo cup and there was a glass plate with fat white lines on the coffee table.

"There she is! The love of my life," Hunter announced as I came into view. He strode over and held me gently as he gave me a big wet kiss on the mouth.

"Aww, guys!" Hunter's friend's girlfriend, the only other girl here, exclaimed as she watched us. I didn't know any of their names. It was hard to keep track or even keep focus. She had red hair and sparkling blue eyes that were slanted from being drunk or high, a joint between her fingers as she ashed it in an ashtray. "Babe, why can't you love me like that?" She smacked the boys chest whose lap she was half sitting on. I didn't bother looking at him at all. Not worth being slapped around.

"Geez, get a room already. Whose next," another guy in the room asked, holding out a cut straw towards Hunter and I.

Hunter had his arm wrapped around my waist as he plucked the straw from dudes hand.

"Here," he said, handing it to me. "You need to catch up." Breaking away from him, I walked over to the coffee table, pulling my hair to the side as I leaned down and lined the straw to my nose. It burned going up and dripped down the back of my throat. I sniffed in a deep breath as I tilted back my head and held my nose together so that I could make sure it all went where it needed to go. And then I went in for another line knowing just one wouldn't satisfy me for the moment.

Handing the straw to Hunter, I walked over to the mini bar to make myself a drink. It sucked when he would bring me into his friend group, forcing me to be social and act normal. It was scary. I never knew if I was going to do something to upset him.

What if I accidentally smiled at one of them? Or said something awkward? But the fears slid away as the cocaine hit my brain, the big drip at the back of my throat making the world seem brighter. It was like I saw clearly but it could just be my pupils turning to saucers.

Walking back over, I confidently sat in Hunters lap as he grinned up at me as if I were his favorite person. It was all a show, an act, but it felt good even for the moment.

I knew deep down the drugs and alcohol were another way for Hunter to control me. It was on nights like these, where we spent doing lines after lines, that the sex would actually be really intense. It wouldn't hurt as my body wanted it, hummed for it, wanting to be touched. And it was the only time that I would return the passion, kissing him hungry, running my hands all over. It was the only time I didn't just lay there and squeeze my eyes shut hoping it would be done. He'd bend me over the bed, pumping into me as he rubbed my clit, my vagina walls feeling like they were trembling as it gushed when I came as I cried out for once in pleasure rather than pain and my body humming in relief.

"Damn, baby," he'd say into my neck, pulling us both, sweaty and naked together on the bed, falling into a deep sleep as we clung together.