Chapter 23

Me and Two got in the car. We left the hospital on our way to get food for the rest of the gang. We didn't talk to the whole time. Both of us to consumed in our own thoughts.

"Should we got through the drive-thru or...." He said.

"Drive-thru is fine" I smiled "it's faster" He nodded at me. He ordered the food and we pulled up to the window, them handing us the soggy bag of food. The smell of the food soothed me, finally something other then the hospital smell. Anyone that has been in a hospital knows that smell.

We got back to the hospital. The doctors were talking to Darry and Soda alone. Dally and Steve were inside Johnny's room. Darry and Soda outside of it. Darry looked at us and told us to go inside the room. Darry could probably tell how worried I was so he mouthed It's gonna be ok then he looked back to the doctor to focus on what he was saying.

"Hey Johnnycake" I smiled at him, handing out the burgers to the rest of the gang. I sat down at the edge of his bed trying to put on a smile. But I couldn't stop thinking about Pony. I had a really sick feeling that I couldn't get rid of. Nothing I did could shake that feeling no matter how much I laughed with them.

Darry and Soda eventually came back in the room. Dull looks on their faces. We all stood up Johnny sting up in his bed.

"He's out of surgery." Darry said. But that's all he said. He sat down and asked for his hamburger. And said nothing else including Soda.

All of us were going to fine. Darry and Soda were in so much shock that Pony actually lived they didn't know what to say. He did have a lot of complications in surgery but he will eventually recover. We found out that he had been shot in the chest saving this girl. Darry was mad at him for that but he was also proud.

I took care of Johnny when he was recovering having to go to PT. He was gonna get 100% movement back in his arm. The end