Chap. 10

^Kaia's outfit^

TRIGGER WARNING: ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR

Kaia laid in bed, tucked safely into Villain's sleeping form. Villain had fallen asleep an hour ago with Kaia brushing her fingers through his hair. Sensing her man was deep asleep, she slowly crawled out of his grasp. Kaia slipped a pillow through Villain's arms and pecked his cheek. She felt bad sneaking around, but her family was important.

Kaia walked to her closet and looked around for something to wear. The weather was cold, but Kaia didn't care. The girl lived in skirts and dresses. Kaia pulled on a little black skirt and crop top. When she left the closet, she saw Villain spread out on the bed, looking like a spider. Kaia thought it was funny and wondered how she ever slept with him, but was careful not to giggle too loudly. 

The small girl grabbed her phone, and stepped out of the room. She tiptoed to the door and quietly opened it. After slipping out, Kaia pulled out her phone and texted Josh.

Kaia: I'm coming.

Josh: I'm waiting.

Glancing at his message, Kaia left the elevator and stepped out of the building. The cold air hit her with force, and she shivered realizing her clothing was a big mistake. Kaia knew she easily got sick and Villain always warned her to wear warmer clothes. She turned the corner of the building and a voice shouted her name.

"Kaia!" The petite girl's head whipped around at the sound of her name being yelled. She saw Josh in the near distance. It had been so long since she had last seen him, but he still appeared the same to her. She smiled brightly at seeing his floppy, brown hair and sparkling, green eyes.

Kaia ran across the street to Josh and his car. She enveloped her long-lost friend in a big hug, too excited to remember the rude word he called Villain.

"Josh! How are you?" Kaia said, pulling back and looking up. Josh was almost as tall as Villain.

"I'm great now that I've finally seen you. How are you? How's he treating you?" Josh questioned Kaia and got into the car, gesturing for her to get into the passenger side. 

Kaia internally rolled her eyes when Josh asked about Villain. She could sense it from a mile away. The small girl climbed into the car and buckled herself in. She confused as to why they were in the car, but figured it would be warmer than outside.

"Nico is great," she blushed, keeping it short and sweet. "So what happened with mama and papa?" Josh started the car and began driving away from her building. 

"Why do you like that asshole so much?" Josh grumbled to himself. The short girl pretended she hadn't heard him. 

"What about mama and papa, Josh?" Kaia didn't want to talk about Villain, instead concerned with her parents. Something was off with the look in Josh's eyes.

"There's nothing wrong with your parents. Don't be mad. I just wanted to see you, Kaia," Josh stated. Kaia's eyes went wide and her mouth dropped open. Something in her wanted to tell him to stop driving and take her home, but she dismissed it. 

"Why would you lie, Josh? If you had told me, I would have-"

"No, you wouldn't have seen me!" Josh yelled, cutting Kaia off. The tiny girl shrunk into her seat wishing she could disappear.  Kaia didn't like him yelling at her and felt frightened. She tightly gripped her phone, nervously picking at the case.

"I just want to goddamn love you, Kaia. I'm better than him," Josh screamed at her. His loud voice made Kaia wince. Josh reached across the console and grabbed her hand for emphasis. His tight grip on her dainty wrist made the little girl whimper. 

"Please, pull over," Kaia swallowed thickly. She held her tears in and requested politely. 

"No, Kaia. I'm taking you to my home. Where you belong," Josh stated. Panic rushed through Kaia and she immediately regretted all her actions tonight. 

"No, Josh, please," Kaia protested. She hadn't even told Villain. Tears started to fall down her face.

"So, this guy is more important than your family? You don't even wanna visit your mama and papa." Josh's efforts of injecting guilt in Kaia worked. She looked down at her lap, conflicted. 

"You're going to sleep at my house and in the morning we'll see your parents. Don't worry, mine are out of town, so we'll be all by ourselves," Josh explained. Kaia tensed up at his statement. She pulled her phone out to text Villain, not expecting the device to be ripped out of her grip. A sob escaped Kaia's lips when Josh banged the phone against the dashboard, cracking it.

After ten minutes of crying, the car pulled into Josh's garage. Kaia jumped out of the car the moment it stopped and tried to run outside. As soon as she stepped foot on the driveway two arms pulled her small body back. One of Josh's hands slapped over Kaia's mouth, muffling her shouts for help. 

The tiny girl kicked and cried, while her psycho ex dragged her in his house. Josh dropped Kaia's body on the hardwood floor, once inside the house. Her fragile head banged against the ground with a thud. The small girl whimpered in pain and curled up into a ball on the floor. 

"You stay just like that," Josh directed, leaving the suffering girl on the floor. Kaia's eyes fluttered, but she used all her strength to keep them open. As soon as Josh was out of sight, she scooted towards the front door of the once familiar house. 

Kaia threw it open, stumbled out, and ran until she couldn't anymore. Kaia didn't have her phone and had no idea how to get home from where she was. After five more minutes, rain started to fall. The poor girl shivered, but persevered through the intricate streets. 

After an additional ten minutes, Kaia realized she was getting nowhere. She slid to the sidewalk, feeling dizzy and cold. A loud sob passed her lips. Suddenly, like a spec of hope, the lights of the house in front of her flicked on. Three minutes later, a robe clad woman stepped out of the residence. 

"Oh honey, are you alright?" Kaia's head shot up at the sudden voice. A woman held her hand out for the small girl. "What are you doing out here at this time?"

Kaia felt relief run through her. The woman guided the crying girl into her house and sat her on the couch. The kind lady rubbed Kaia's back, until her sobs turned into sniffles.

"May I please borrow a phone?" Kaia softly whispered. The woman jumped up, surprised that the girl had spoken, and immediately rushed out of the room. A few seconds later, she returned with a house phone.

Kaia murmured gratitude and held it in her shaky fingers. The little girl cutely sneezed, making the older lady coo and hand her a tissue. Every part of Kaia's body hurt, making her feel horrible.

Kaia carefully entered the only phone number she had memorized. Hoping for the best, her waterworks started up again, listening to the steady ringing. When it stopped and there was no answer, Kaia frantically reentered the numbers. She called two more times, until it was answered.

"What?" Villain's sleepy voice grunted through the phone.

Thoughts on Josh? Predictions for the next chapter?

~ Luly